Craftsmen 10" Bandsaw"

Hedley

I was wondering if this bandsaw would do for cutting out guitar bodies? I just don't know if the table/throat area would be large enough? I am not concerned with doing any resawing at the moment, just want something to get me going. Maybe somebody has one or has used on before? Thx

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_0...sName=Band+Saws

I have a 12" bandsaw and often wish it was larger.

You could probably get by with that although you would be repositioning a lot and making multiple cuts.

+1

I had one of these I got it for $40 used, wish I had saved my money. I bought a 14" with a riser on it. You will regret spending the money on that put it towards something bigger.

Trust me you don't what to waste time thinking of interesting ways to cut out a body blank when you can just cut it out without stopping and turning the blank around. besides the HP sucks on them no balls and no book match cutting either.

Just my 2 cents spend $150 more and get something that can do everything you need it to.

I have a 12" bandsaw and often wish it was larger.

You could probably get by with that although you would be repositioning a lot and making multiple cuts.

+1

I had one of these I got it for $40 used, wish I had saved my money. I bought a 14" with a riser on it. You will regret spending the money on that put it towards something bigger.

Trust me you don't what to waste time thinking of interesting ways to cut out a body blank when you can just cut it out without stopping and turning the blank around. besides the HP sucks on them no balls and no book match cutting either.

Just my 2 cents spend $150 more and get something that can do everything you need it to.

what $350 bandsaw can do everything? I was under the impression that the grizzly 14" at $395 + $70 for the extension block was about the baseline.

I have one, got it a couple years ago for a bit over $100 on sale. All in all its better than nothing and cuts ok with a good blade and setup. The worst trouble I've had with it is the guide bearings are crap. VBX Bearings sell 20 of the 6 x 19 mm for about $20 and I've gone through about 15 of them so far.

If I had to do it again, I'd probably shop around on Craigs List for a good deal on a 14".

Here's another vote to getting a bigger one if you can afford it. It won't be long before you WILL want to resaw, then you'll be hosed. If you can't afford it, then it's not an issue.

Bottom line: Yes it will be fine to cut out a body. But I guarantee that it won't be long before you'll want a bigger one.

If you are thinking of doing this much, I would maybe buy a jigsaw just for cutting body blanks at first and save for a bigger saw. That way you can still cut out bodies but still be saving for a better tool. But that's just me.

Thanks for the replys.

I already want a bigger one, so I don't have to wait for that to happen, lol, and I would like to resaw as well, just need something to get me going. I have been looking for a used 14" but used 14" bandsaws are a little scarce around here. I really want to get the 14" ultimate from grizzly, but either way If I go pick it up or pay freight I will be out $500 on it and I just can't afford that for one item right now.

Does anybody know anything about the 14" harbor freight sales for $339.00?

I have one of these 10 inch bandsaws. It's not bad for what it is--a hobby tool. You cannot run an 1/8 inch blade on it, 3/16 minimum or the blade hops off. It works fine for cutting hardwood as long as you take it slow and make sure the blade guide is adjusted down to the workpiece. The only thing I really don't like about it is that you can only get blades from Sears at that size.

... The only thing I really don't like about it is that you can only get blades from Sears at that size.

Many places will make them up for you, I've bought from ToolCenter.com and been satisfied, got a 1/2" Lenox Diemaster and it cuts quite well.

http://www.toolcenter.com/070_5_Band_saw_Blades.html

Here is a place to get the 6 x 19 mm bearings when yours fail

http://stores.ebay.com/VXB-Bearings-Skateb...p;submit=Search

I'll be another one to say skip the craftsman and just wait to get the money together for a better saw. I looked at one of those in the past when I started getting itchy for new tools, but decided it just wasn't the right machine. You can get this now and a 14" later, but you'll never get back the majority of the money that you drop on the craftsman. So instead of $500 for just the Grizzly you'll be out $500, plus at least $150 lost on the craftsman.

Take a few more months and just save up. Sell a few things on eBay. I only used a jigsaw for 3 years to cut out bodies and paid someone else to resaw boards for me. Not the optimal situation, but it is one that many members on here rely on. I can't stress enough, just wait on it. You'll be much happier in the end.

I'll be another one to say skip the craftsman and just wait to get the money together for a better saw. I looked at one of those in the past when I started getting itchy for new tools, but decided it just wasn't the right machine. You can get this now and a 14" later, but you'll never get back the majority of the money that you drop on the craftsman. So instead of $500 for just the Grizzly you'll be out $500, plus at least $150 lost on the craftsman.

Take a few more months and just save up. Sell a few things on eBay. I only used a jigsaw for 3 years to cut out bodies and paid someone else to resaw boards for me. Not the optimal situation, but it is one that many members on here rely on. I can't stress enough, just wait on it. You'll be much happier in the end.

I think your too late. He is hell bent on buying the wrong tool. Some people have to learn the hard way I am afraid.

I think I will coin a new phrase MFTP (Money Flush Tool Purchase) which will go with my old stand by, POJ (Piece Of Junk).. :D

The only thing i am hell bent on is building guitars! :D

I was given some power tools to me today, thus freeing up some funds for future tool purchasing! All sears craftsman stuff, new in box, never used! I got a router,sanders,jig saw, drill bit set and a circular saw! :D

So now, i am back on the 14" ultimate grizzly saw. It will be a month anyway til my build gets underway.

free is good :D

Sears not so good but its free..how can you complain

Cursing my 12" bandsaw today, because I want to try bandsawing belly and forearm carves with a simple angle jig.....but it won't fit.

I started with a sears 12".. Ugh That was 20 years and 4 bandsaws ago..It cut curves in wood thats all I can say about it..

Here is a place to get the 6 x 19 mm bearings when yours fail

http://stores.ebay.com/VXB-Bearings-Skateb...p;submit=Search

Neato. They're already making noise and I haven't used it that much yet. It is what it is, a hobby tool. If you're going to make a mountain of guitars or other stuff on a weekly basis, go with the big Jet stuff or buy an overarm pin router. Better yet, invest in a full CNC mill so you can also carve your bridges out of pure billet unobtanium :D