Guitar Of The Month For December

Guitar of the Month for December  

87 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So much brilliant work this month... I love Quarter's Junkyard Dog and was absolutely intrigued by NotYou's "Stagolee" which darned near got my vote, but Scatter Lee's "Scattervarius" stole it at the last minute. The workmanship and attention to detail is just staggering!

Wow! What a month. Some truely outstanding guitars, it must be Christmas!

Sergiokuns - For a first build that is great! Hope my first is anywhere near as good

MKM - Nice idea of the interchangeable bridge and adjustable neck angle

Hufschmid - Another great build. Personally not a fan of 7 & 8 string guitars (I have a hard enought time playing 6!)

SwedishLuthier - Cool. Particulary like the inlay idea.

NotYou - Love seeing your 'apocalypse' builds. Not really my cup of tea though.

Maikkeli - This 'almost' got my vote (were it not for a later entry). Very clean

Quarter - Really nice.

Menapia - Love the artwork, don't like the fretboard extension tho

Metalhead 28 - Really like this apart from the cavity covers (tremelo in particular breaks the flow of the grain on the back).

3DogNate - Nice, but think a dark fretboard would look better.

Stereordinary - This is really cool, don't really like the headstock shape

ScatterLee - :D Just WOW! Got my vote.

Edited by The Fool Guy

Well, we have a brilliant collection here, and if it wasn't for one particular guitar, I would have found it difficult to decide which one to vote for. Well done everyone, you have done sterling work.

So, while all the entries are extremely good, I simply had to vote for the most stunning design I've seen for a long time, the Scattervarius :D

Its all so pretty, I just have to review!

Kuns LPC - Aside from the orange peel on the headstock, the overall attention to detail on this makes me want to hang it on the wall and not let anyone touch it, but then take it down and play it myself. I would call this guitar my baby :D

MKM Custom - This guitar is way more my style. I'm not too crazy about white guitars, ...i just noticed that it has 2 bridges. Odd. I like it with the wrap-around more. The tail piece makes it work B)

Hufschmid H8 Baritone - This is a beautiful instrument! I think an 8 string is a little too much for me. I like the exposed tuners. It adds to the mechanical/earthy mix vibe that this guitar gives off. Good stuff!

Mr Blue Bigsby - This reminds me of psw's tele only without all the flash... even though it obviously has some flash :D I'm totally diggin the side position markers along the fretboard. I don't know how i feel about the black string trees though... although I see the point with the tuning issues. That's a very small thing to complain about on any guitar though B)

Stagolee - Very um... rusty!

The Moon - This is another very pretty tele! I love when people show off the versitility of the tele body by adding a creative f-hole. The 5 ply binding is very sweet, and I love the inlay! The headstock is a perfect match to the body. Very nice!

Junkyard Dog - 8 string lap steel huh? I'd like to give that a shot sometime :P very clean looking work!

7 string thingy - I'm looooving the artwork on this! The headstock's a little wonky to me, but it does match the star-trek theme.

SS - I don't know what I like more, the back or the front! Even the floyd cavity is flamed and finished. I bet this one plays very fast!

3dognate - Very nice clean work! I don't know how I feel about the fretboard contrast to the body, but I can't complain about any of the craftsmanship. Good stuff!

stereordinary - I think I would have liked to see a matching headstock color. Overall, the theme of the guitar with the curves, and the bevels is very nice though!

Scattervarius - I liked this one the most this month. The only thing I would change about it would be the headstock. I would have used a classical style headstock with standard metal tuners with black heads, and I would have had the scroll face back like a violin or cello. Other than that, the only thing it needs is fine tuners on the tail piece! This is a beautiful instrument, and it makes me want to make one! Awesome job!

Awesome month!

I went with Stereordinary's entry, because the design and color just really come together so well.

Close seconds were Junkyard dog, Staggolee and Scattervarius, but I couldn't quite get over my prejudice against violin shaped guitars. This is the best example I have seen though, partly because of the headstock (and I love the kitty.) Stagolee looks fantastic, excellent work on the finish, but something about the neck bugs me, and the bridge looks a bit too crusty for my taste ( and that is saying something :D ) But I totally understand about finding a piece of "junk" that inspires that kind of excitement.

My personal favorites are the H8 Baritone, Mr. Blue Bigsby, Stagolee, and Oceana Prototype. In the end, my vote went to the Stagolee...

H8 Baritone: Very sexy! I love the choice of woods and the natural finish. I especially like how the dark streaks in the top are accented by the black hardware. And eight strings to boot! Fun fun fun! :D This design comes together extremely well in my opinion; I would love to own this guitar. If it hadn't been for the Stagolee, the H8 would've gotten my vote.

Mr. Blue Bigsby: I've always been a huge Tele fan, and I really like what you did here. I have no doubt it's a dream to play! I'm a big fan of having fretboard markers (if any at all) at the edge(s) of the fretboard like that, and it's really cool seeing that style on a Tele.

Oceana Prototype: I dig the retro styling! The clean, single-pickup design is great too. I really want to pick it up and play it!

Stagolee: I've been watching your builds for awhile and they grow on me the more I see them. This one just takes the cake! I love everything about it: the finish, the shape, the hollowbody, all of the aesthetic touches... DO WANT! :D

An awesome month for sure... Probably the first month I can remember where I actually liked all of the entries. There are some amazing builders on this forum!

Edited by CrazyManAndy

I really picked the wrong month to submit. There is a ton of amazing stuff this month. Every build was great this time around.

Sergiokuns: I love that top; it's gorgeous! I normally don't like gold hardware, but it matches so perfectly with that wood it looks great. Good choice and very nice work.

***mkm***: Great body shape! I like what you did with the optional bridges.

hufschmid: I love the color of the top. It's very unique. Everything about this one looks well done.

SwedishLuthier: Great job with the color. It comes across as very bold. I don't normally care for Teles, but this is a great looking one!

NotYou: :D

Maikkeli: Like I said before, I'm normally not much for Teles, but I love this guitar. The top is absolutely gorgeous! The thing that really got me, though, was the headstock. It's just a little thing, but really makes the guitar look complete. Great job!

Quarter: I always love your work. This one is especially nice. Your workmanship is top notch. I really don't know what else to say about it. Great job!

Menapia: I really love that headstock. The overall style isn't my cup-o-tea, but that's purely subjective; it doesn't affect the fact that it's very nicely done.

Metalhead28: I love the body wood and the neck! I don't really like tops like that, but I'm definitely a minority. It's very nicely done. I bet it sounds great.

3DogNate: Very clean work. I actually agree with what everyone else said. I'd love to see the back of it, though.

stereordinary: I love this one. The body shape is great and paint job and bevels work perfectly with it! The pickguard was a very nice touch. Really beautiful work!

Scatter Lee: This reminds me a lot of Les Godfrey's work. The top wood is absolutely stunning! I would love to hear this guitar. Great work!

I really like EVERY guitar this month.

In fact, I voted a few days ago but didn't have time to comment. Today, I can't remember who I voted for!

Again, an excellent bunch of guitars. Congrats to all!

Sergiokuns - Kuns Les Paul Custom - Some orange peel on the headstock. Otherwise, this works for me... Like any well-made LP with nice woods and hardware would.

***mkm*** - MKM custom guitar - I like the wraparound setup better. The other one has a pickguard that doesnt really fir IMHO. Otherwise, the design is original yet familiar enough to make it look like something that's been around for a while. Well done.

hufschmid - Hufschmid H8 Baritone Myrtlewood Top - Too many strings for me. I like the subtle bevels in the cutaway and armrest areas.

SwedishLuthier - Mr Blue Bigsby - I like the fact that you made a tele but found another way to personalize it other than by changing the headstock : those fingerboard markers look great!

NotYou - "Stagolee" - I think I voted for this one. I hate relics, but to me this has nothing to do with relicing, as I pointed out in your topic. It has a novelty appeal, but it also seems to say "you can play me for centuries". I love it.

Maikkeli - ”The Moon” - Classy. A billion light years from NotYou's entry, but a fine guitar with just the right amount of decorum to make it "deluxe" but stopping short of being tacky. Very tasteful.

Quarter - the Junkyard Dog - I love that shape. It's like a mini, softened Explorer. Attention to detail is top notch. Another one in the "very tasteful" department

Menapia - 7 string thingy - Very cool paint job. I'm not a fan of the headstock though, and I would be afraid to break the horns, they look very thin! I'd like to see a close-up of the Saturn inlay. It lloks very cool!

Metalhead28 - "SS" - Another very tasteful one in a classic design. I do think the particular wood figuring on the back would have called for contrasting wood or plastic cover plates, though.

3DogNate - Custom Renegade 7 - To my eye, the waist is a bit too wide on the left side (under the upper horn). Other than that, I can't fault the worksmanship or materials and color choices. It all comes together nicely.

stereordinary - Oceana Prototype - Very cool retro-ish design with matching pickguard shape and grayish green metallic finish. Headstock shape does nothing for me, though. Still very cool!

Scatter Lee - Scattervarius - A fine novelty guitar. An inspirational attention to detail. I think you really have to agree with the philosophy of construction something that emulates traditional quatuor lutherie to appreciate this fully. I have to admit I'm divided. Not because I don't like it, but because I don't agree with it, no matter how fantastic I think it looks.

Cheers,

Scatter Lee: This reminds me a lot of Les Godfrey's work. The top wood is absolutely stunning! I would love to hear this guitar. Great work!

i found this as i was curious as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9Ve0hmjfhc

ahh, you found it, testing out a set of p-90's i made for it, i put a set of budz in it now, sounds about the same, bad video, the computer did not want to cooperate with the camera at all, i had a set of test controls in the back at the time too

DSC08352.jpg

3DogNate - Custom Renegade 7 - To my eye, the waist is a bit too wide on the left side (under the upper horn). Other than that, I can't fault the worksmanship or materials and color choices. It all comes together nicely.

Well, the body shape is a Ibanez RG (exactly :D ) ... it took on a bit of a different look because of the PRS style set neck joint I did. This build was actually almost a scraps build as I did it to get rid of some extras (7 string pickups, not 100% maple top, extra maple fingerboard (hence the maple board) but the big reason I built this guitar was to test out the Target EM6000 finish on something non-important.

3DogNate: Very clean work. I actually agree with what everyone else said. I'd love to see the back of it, though.

My build thread is here you can see the back of the guitar here...

Menapia - 7 string thingy - Very cool paint job. I'm not a fan of the headstock though, and I would be afraid to break the horns, they look very thin! I'd like to see a close-up of the Saturn inlay. It lloks very cool!

Cheers,

Cheers Sunday, this is the best I can do. There is a link to the build on the entry with more pic's .

DSCF7417.jpg