Pickpunch

Vinny

• 2 weeks later...

Cool find. I wonder how thick and how mard of material it can handle. I find that 1mm is about the thinnest I usually like to play with. It would also be nice to see it offered with either interchangable die sets or in other shapes. I personally preffer jazz style picks and a lot of guys like the big triangles, although the Fender shape (as they call it) is the standard go to shape.

I think it got posted a year or so ago... I think the only cool thing it would be good for is experimenting with materials not saving money.

How much do you spend on picks a year that you need to save money on picks?

Honestly I like Clayton picks. And I am hell on picks. I had the misfortune of playing a real tortoise shell pick when I was younger and have been trying to find a material that is similar for years. The closest I have come is the newer Clayton Ultem gold picks.

well, it came in the mail... along with some black delrin material. Its a fun little puncher, I'll give it that. I punched up a fistful of black picks, then quickly got on to punching out some aluminum, different plastics, poster-board and anything else that'll fit into the thing! :D I now have a really really big pick collection, and some of them sound o.k. some are mah, and some just sound bad. but its all subjective anyway.

I don't regret buying it, and if you know a guitarist with 'everything', it'll make a cool gift.

/review :D

I had the misfortune of playing a real tortoise shell pick when I was younger and have been trying to find a material that is similar for years. The closest I have come is the newer Clayton Ultem gold picks.

redbear plecs are the closest i have found - pricey, but they do have a very nice feel and are very hard wearing. they also have that slightly grippy quality of tortoishell. sounds odd, but you dont have to hold as tight which helps with dynamics

http://www.redbeartrading.com/

when you buy a lollar pickup you get a plec made from the bobbin material, the vulcanised fibreboard. it has very square edges at first, but with a little softening i actually quite like it. worth trying if you have a pick punch

I normally go through a bag of dunlops every two years. One bag holds about 10 picks. $2 at the shop!

Oh, and i don't lose them. They wear out. I make it a habit to weave my pick between the strings near the headstock, or in a pickup cavity on my bass. This does look like a fun novelty item though :D