Sirens

For the first time, I'm making a model of guitar, instead of only one-offs.

These are the first ones. It took months to come up with a fast process, find the right clear coat, and experiment with countless pigments and new finish applications.

We're calling this the "Siren" series.

The finishes are my favorite part about these. It took tons of experimenting, but I found a way to make metallic finishes that only show at certain angles, giving a sort of iridescent effect. We're calling them ghost finishes. They can be very dynamic, or just give a soft glow. I really like how they look.

There is a ton more info on my site.

good%20one_1.jpg

GB%20CU_1.jpg

DSC_3639_1.jpg

Topback_1.jpg

knobs_1.jpg

v2_1.jpg

Ghost%20example.jpg

Edited by NotYou

Thanks. The ghost blue is definitely most people's favorite so far. I did a ghost red, but I made the mistake of putting it over a black that had blue pigment in it. That's where the purple one came from /facepalm. I think it should work over lampblack, though. Next time.

In person, the purple fades to black, which is pretty badass, but it doesn't show in the photos. Metallic finishes are extremely hard to shoot, especially the ghost finishes. I took 200-300 shots of each guitar and only had a few show the metallic qualities, pearlescence, or iridescence I wanted. I'm glad a few shots turned out, though.

Edited by NotYou

Nicely done. Not my cup of tea in the shape department, but I am not a fan of PRS or SG shapes, both of which I see in there. But the craftsmanship is there and they look well built. The finishes look great.

Not trying to steal any trade secrets, but just curious, what brand of paint are you using to get that finish?

I made them all. It took forever to get it right. The "ghost" finishes get spotty if they're not applied just right because they're somewhat translucent (i.e. if it's not totally even, the opacity will be all over the place).

I'll probably explain how I did at some point, but not yet. These guitars are meant to be the bulk of the business. Until now, I approached it like I approached being an artist... and that makes for a horrible business. The finishes are a big part of these and took me a long, long time to get right, so I'm not spilling the beans yet.

The clear is polyacrylic. I can say that much.

I like the design. I like the colors.

However I can't tell if it is the photos or the actual finish but the neck heal area looks ummm.... warbley? wavey? The way the light is reflecting on the carves gives the impression that it is not a perfect curve.

If it is the photo I suggest working on the photos. One problem I have had photographing shiny guitars is the reflections in the finish. I fix this with a large white sheet positioned so that it covers the strange reflections in the finish.

If it is the wood I would make the curves look perfect before painting. So with a finish like that I would say that the woodwork underneath has to be perfect kinda like a black guitar.

If it is perfect and I have a bad computer monitor no worries! :D

Are you talkin about the coppery one? I have no idea what's going on there. The finish and woodwork were both perfect. I can only assume it's from the photos with the metallic finish. I had weird dark spots showing in some photos and all kinds of crap. The glare would have the camera sensor do funny things with contrast and and white correction and all kinds of stuff. It would even look totally differet in the view finder than in the actual shot. They were really hard to shoot.

I have other shots of the heels that look great. That's the only one I got at that angle, so I keep using it. I might just start using the others though. People will jump to all kinds of conclusions when see photos like that.

We're supposed to be doing a video shoot for DAG soon. I'm hoping they'll look more natural on video.

Ok... I figured it was the photos. I am not a very good photographer but I have learned a few tricks... but if you have a pro you can ask talk to them.

Anyway here goes... So one possible way to solve the issue is to use white curtains. Build a box around the guitar and keep everything behind it. Light, people, cameras, anything that can reflect in the finish. Diffuse the light with curtains and reflect it off a white ceiling. No flashes.

That way the only reflections you pick up are from the white curtains. I had a terrible time with some of my fluorescent guitars.

Another tip, that is similar, to getting good pictures is to take them outside on an overcast day. You don't get much in reflections and it is a naturally difussed light. I always take some with and without flash and see what gets best. Some pictures get really nice on sunny days, but it's hard getting the light right to avoid glares and bad reflections. When I can get my hands on my wifes good camera with the separate flas, I'll angle the flash so it brightens the picture but the light is not directed at the guitar.

I always try for overcast days. We don't get a lot of those around here, so I have to make due sometimes. Direct sun on those metallic finishes is blinding and won't come out in photos at all. Same with studio lights.

I've actually done quite a bit of professional photography (mostly for archeologists) and I have a degree in film, but shooting metallic guitars is its own challenge. The more I shoot them, the more little tricks I figure out, though.

Just a thought, would a polarizing filter help?

BTW fantastic looking guitars. Makes me want to play some metal and I don't even like metal much.

Thanks! I actually don't like metal much either. They would certainly be fitting, though.

I think a polarized filter would work. The problem is with the light hitting the sensor and causing it to do funny things. A polarized filter would would probably eliminate that. One of these days I'll actually get one and find out.