The Mule

govtmule

It's slow going but I decided to put together a small batch of 6 tele style guitars to be placed in local shops on consignment. This design is part Tele, part Jazzmaster with a nod to both in the headstock. Nothing revolutionary but I like it. The idea is to follow the telecaster model. A simple, rock solid, blue collar, go to guitar that may not have the flash but has the substance. Hence the name, the Mule. Not the prettiest horse in the stable but it's the one that you break out to do the heavy lifting.

24.75" scale

Sperzel tuners

12" radius

SS frets with a zero fret

Flat top an back

Deep set neck

Wilkinson bridge

SD P-rails pup

1 Vol 1 Tone

vintage cap

Anyway, here are a few pictures.

The basic templates. The headstock looks pointy in the pic but it's at an angle and I sanded some around the tuner holes so it looks a bit choppy here.

DSC_0427.jpg

A shot of all six bodies and necks. Two walnut, two Spanish Cedar, and two African Mahogany.

DSC_0453.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, that one neck blank scares me...

Chris

I agree. The walnut is quartered and the spanish cedar is close but the af mahogany is goofy with knots and swirls. This first batch is meant to help develop a consistent, repeatable process. So they are really prototypes that will be offered up to friends at cost unless they turn out nice enough to sell.

I agree. The walnut is quartered and the spanish cedar is close but the af mahogany is goofy with knots and swirls. This first batch is meant to help develop a consistent, repeatable process. So they are really prototypes that will be offered up to friends at cost unless they turn out nice enough to sell.

yeah, those knots and swirls make insane looking stuff, but on bodies. Neck should have grain as straight as possible. I don´t even like using less than perfectly quartersawn blanks (haven´t used flatsawn yet). I have seen wood doing crazy things with grain twisted like that.

Edited by oblaty

I wouldn't even prototype with it if I were you. Too much work put in for it to most likely not be as stable and lasting as you'd like. African mohog is cheap, go grab another piece.

Chris

Thanks a lot for the input guys. Maybe you're right. Maybe it's a waste of time to use that piece. Maybe I could use it as my first neck carve guinea pig. I have a large roundover router bit that I've been thinking about using to start my neck carves. We'll see.

start it as a "reference" and see how it goes.... as you progress, you will know whether or not it is suitable for a real neck..... you might find it will hang up a bit on the grain as you route the neck.... go very slow and take off minimal amounts as you go..... the heavy cross grained areas will be the test of the necks stability....

Wood does move, of that you'll get no argument. but "perfectly quartersawn" is not a neccessity. Flatsawn wood has been a proven neck wood for decades now.

Are those dual rod routes in the neck blanks ? That would help with any twisting you may encounter.

Not dual rods but one two way truss rod down the middle and two carbon fiber rods on the outsides running parallel to the truss rod.

My thought is that I can use some more interesting looking wood that may not be ideal grain wise, and fight some of the potential movement with the carbon fiber rods. I haven't been building very long and haven't logged a ton of builds under my belt so I don't have many past examples to see that theory play out over time. I'm attempting to streamline and standardize the building process of this model so if the neck turns out to be crap I hope to be able to swap it out for another relatively easily.

The best laid plans......

• 3 weeks later...

How are these projects going? I am a little lost on the woods used, what type of wood is that grey stock? I really like that stuff, I bet it would really pop with an oil finish.

How are these projects going? I am a little lost on the woods used, what type of wood is that grey stock? I really like that stuff, I bet it would really pop with an oil finish.

That's walnut. Ideally I would use an oil finish, that's what I like best, but these are three piece tops that are really nothing too special to look at.

These are coming along fine, thanks for asking. I hit a snag recently with the truss rod access that I had to build a router carriage to correct. I'm trying to find a piece of plexiglass thick enough to use as a router base plate for the carriage.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...