Removing Threaded Inserts

Any advice on removing the stop bar threaded inserts? I’m installing a Bigsby B6G on my current project (ES 335 Copy) and the threaded inserts for the original stop bar will be left behind and unused. I’ll be refinishing the guitar (with a painted top), so I’d like to pull these out and plug the holes.

Is there some experienced Luther’s trick for pulling inserts without damaging the top?

I actually use something like a socket placed right over the insert. Then I use a washer and a bolt of the right size and thread pitch to thread into the insert. As you keep turning it, it will pull the insert out. The advantage to this is that it will always pull straight up and minimize damage to the wood and finish around the inserts.

I do something similar to Ripthorn. Find a bolt with the same thread as the insert, a large washer and a piece of wood. Drill a hole in the wood big larger than the insert you want to remove. Position the wood over the insert and put the washer on top. Pass the bolt through and into the insert and start screwing it in. As the bolt head presses against the washer/wood it starts drawing up the insert. If the insert is still halfway in the body by the time the bolt meets the end of the thread just back it out, shim the block of wood up and start again.

actually there's a thread about this> here. Just avoid the first video. BAD idea

yet it works simply and easily for me 9 times out of 10... you just have to be capable of not forcing it. if you feel you will have to force it you stop and try something different. quite simply really but people only ever seem to want advice if it works 100% of the time, which i dont think any method does!

i have used it on loads of guitars and never damaged a single one. i wont deny that it could be possible to split a body with the method... but a little common sense is all that is needed to prevent that ever happening