Bending Iron Issue

OK. So I just killed my bending iron. It was an old one I got from stewie mac god knows how long ago. Iv made irons for small radius bends using pipe & heating elements before But nothing realy decent, Nothing controlable.

Anyway, I have some 3 inch stainless pipe, a heap of metal foil & a dimmer switch Just sitting in the workshop, so I figured I make something myself. Just gotta decide on a heating element.

But before i start anything :D

I was wondering if anybody has any plans, or what are we using for self made irons that are proven to work.

charcoal starter ? never heard of one. I dont get to do a lot of bbq here, always raining.

Just go over to OLF and search for the term "charcoal starter."

http://luthiersforum.com/forum/search.php?keywords=charcoal+starter&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

Here's a good discussion:

http://luthiersforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10101&t=38821&p=510203&hilit=charcoal+starter#p510203

Hmmm. Interesting. I might look into the charcoal starter.

I have a big chunk of 4 inch diameter solid stainless bar, about 12 inch long. I might see if that will be of any use. Although I beleive it may be too much mass to heat & use effectivly.

I have a solid 2 inch stainless bar aswell. No real heavy wall pipe, the stainless pipe I have only has a 2.5mm wall. So I was thinking of packing it with tin foil. rammed in with a bolster & hammer.

& now the issue of my over thinking things rears its ugly head :rolleyes:

The idea of the water heater element in a water filled pipe is intriguing if only because of the even heating it would create. On the other hand getting it hot enough to be useful may create some fairly high pressure in the pipe. How hot do the pipes need to get to be useful?

SR

The idea of the water heater element in a water filled pipe is intriguing if only because of the even heating it would create. On the other hand getting it hot enough to be useful may create some fairly high pressure in the pipe. How hot do the pipes need to get to be useful?

SR

I agree. If anybody ever tries this one, I'd love to see the build documented.