Melvyn Hiscock's Truss Rod Fixture

acpken

Hello all,

I'm reading 'da bible' (Melvyn Hiscock's book) at the moment.

Pages 94 and 95 mentions a fixture for drilling the truss rod holes in both ends of a bolt on guitar neck.

Has anyone ever built this fixture or know where to find some detailed blueprints to make one?

I'm trying to figure out how to drill the headstock end properly.

Thank you,

ken

Page 117 and 118 if you have the first edition of the book...

If you want vintage accuracy you need to do it more or less like in the book. However most builders around here favor the double adjustable truss rod over the single action, and almost everyone use a rod that fit in a straight rout, not a curved rout. I use a double action rod.

My advise if you decide to do the fender style is to draw everything our full scale, I think it will be quite clear then. I think most, if not all, measurements are in the book and when you have them drawn out you can easily fill in the blanks. If it doesn't work out, let me know and I can probably draw it out in CAD. However I'm really busy right now so it might take some time before I can help you with that.

I have a later edition of the book myself, but as much as I like Mr. Hiscock's ideas I really don't want to bother him. I'm thinking about using the double action rod because of the ease of installation, but I like the idea of having the flexibility of using either kind of rod.

I just found a Youtube vid on a jig somewhat like his, also a factory blueprint of the Am Std. neck. I'm looking for an original 'vintage' neck blueprint right now.

Thank you,

ken

Edited by acpken

I have the new edition too... :P

The main advantage of the double action rod isn't the easy installation IMHO. It is the added functionality that is like car insurance: You hope that you don't need to use it, but you pay for it anyway. If the neck for some reason in the future develop a back bow the double action rod might save the day (or the neck). I've done a few traditional trusrods, but I moved to double action 15 years ago. Never looked back.