Replacing existing truss rod with a newer two-way style - Good idea?

So I'm an electric builder that's trying to build up my acoustic skills. To do this I'm doing a neck reset and a refret on a 1960's Kay jumbo that I love.

While I have the fretboard off for the neck reset, I was considering pulling out the original truss rod and replacing it with a newer two-way rod (like the ones stew-mac sells). I've used those in electrics and they work great.

The original truss rod nut is close to stripped, I don't trust it, and it would be nice to have two way adjustment in case I need it. I will probably need to widen the channel slightly, but this seems like an easy retrofit. Is there any reason this is a bad idea?

Thanks in advance.

From what I can read, it's wider Luis. Is it one of the Gotoh/Martin-style box rods? I love those things myself but as a retrofit it depends on your level of expertise in this modification. The rod will work great but it's significant work on the neck. If you're good with that level of work, it is better than a rod that no longer keeps the neck in control.

• 2 weeks later...