Mr_Riddler

Mr_Riddlers build thread

That inlay is perfect for this guitar.

How did you do it? What materials did you use? It's going to almost be a shame to run frets across that.

SR

1 hour ago, ScottR said:

That inlay is perfect for this guitar.

How did you do it? What materials did you use? It's going to almost be a shame to run frets across that.

SR

Thanks, it's just carved in the fretboard, added some stain and filled it up with epoxyresin.

Man, you've got some artistic skills and talents on display here. Your builds have always been great so I shouldn't be surprised.

That's a very nice carving and nicely shaded with stain to add depth. Very impressive! Have you used that epoxyresin to hold frets before?

SR

Wow. i wish I'd looked in this thread sooner.

That "mordor burst" is amazing, and the fretboard carving is spectacular.

That has got to be the most epic metal axe of all time :)

I'll see if I have any small pieces with a similar cut and figure to mail across the pond. Ping me an email and I'll see whether postage is crucifyingly expensive or not. I think you need to test any potential finish on that board than take chances. Have you got the patience to wait for the post to yield gifts?

14 hours ago, ScottR said:

Man, you've got some artistic skills and talents on display here. Your builds have always been great so I shouldn't be surprised.

That's a very nice carving and nicely shaded with stain to add depth. Very impressive! Have you used that epoxyresin to hold frets before?

SR

Thank you for the kind words! 

Never tried the resin to hold down frets, but I think it's possible. 

the resin turns rock hard when cured, hard as CA or even harder. The downside is the curing time of 24h so I don't see the point of using it for frets or am I missing something? 

@Skyjerk Thank you Sir! 

@Prostheta Thanks for the gesture but I will stop by the local supplier, It's just next door to my daily work. They usually have some great stuff laying around, hopefully they got a piece i can use for testing, I keep you posted if it's a dead end :)

6 hours ago, Mr_Riddler said:

Never tried the resin to hold down frets, but I think it's possible. 

the resin turns rock hard when cured, hard as CA or even harder. The downside is the curing time of 24h so I don't see the point of using it for frets or am I missing something?

I was thinking that when you re-slot the area of your carving / inlay there will be areas where the fret tang will be pressed into the resin only...or so it appears to me from the picture. I was just curious as to whether the resin would hold the tang in the same manner as the wood. I expect it will, but I got curious and asked.:) (I do that often).

SR

2 hours ago, ScottR said:

I was thinking that when you re-slot the area of your carving / inlay there will be areas where the fret tang will be pressed into the resin only...or so it appears to me from the picture. I was just curious as to whether the resin would hold the tang in the same manner as the wood. I expect it will, but I got curious and asked.:) (I do that often).

SR

Ah! I see what you mean, don't think that would be an issue, but will add some drops of CA just to be on the safe side.