Turner Model 1 replica

1 minute ago, Andyjr1515 said:

A lot of my builds incorporate these kinds of curves - I'd LOVE to emulate this type of jig.  Sadly, my teeny workspace is too small to fit it in but it's got me thinking...

Many thanks to both @Mr Natural and @bokchoi77 for the details :)

Great build!

Wanna buy one? Only used once on a Sunday....

But seriously @Mr Natural saved me all the head scratching on this jig. just the measurements for stuff like this are gold.

• Haha 1

it was fun as all hell doing that carve wasnt it? I had a blast doing mine- not sure why but it was oddly satisfying. 

I noticed it looks like you didnt have the screw (for the rotating pick up housing) thru the body when you routed the back- did that move at all on you when you carved the back? I may have gone overboard screwing mine down but I was a bit nervous doing the back. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mr Natural said:

it was fun as all hell doing that carve wasnt it? I had a blast doing mine- not sure why but it was oddly satisfying. 

I noticed it looks like you didnt have the screw (for the rotating pick up housing) thru the body when you routed the back- did that move at all on you when you carved the back? I may have gone overboard screwing mine down but I was a bit nervous doing the back. 

It was good fun, though I was a little tired of it by the end!

Pro tip I found was to rub the rails with a bit of soap.

I did the front first and used a bunch of double sided tape as well as the wedges so it was solid as a rock while the back was flat. when I flipped it I used the screw holes in the neck pocket and the battery cavity to snug it down. 

I'm going to try and nut out a solution for the pickup without the hole in the back, I don't really like the look of it personally.

3 hours ago, bokchoi77 said:

I'm going to try and nut out a solution for the pickup without the hole in the back, I don't really like the look of it personally.

honestly- that pickup housing on mine is snug with just friction. The lacquer build up ensured it. I had the pickup housing sanded to where I thought I could get a few coats on and still have it turn easily- but  3-4 coats and it was quite tight to the point the screw became unnecessary. 

i dont think you will have any problem without the screw- unless of course once completed you hold the guitar pickup face down and shake the hell out of it. :guitarist: