Any budget builders?

jgordonXXX

Hi, new member here,  I would like to have dialogues with builders in the group who are able to build good looking, great sounding solid bodies without spending a ton of money. I realize that a person could spend “thousands” using the best parts (electronics, etc) and have better odds of hitting a home run. For some of us that’ Just not in the cards. Anyone feel that way?

• Like 1

I'm not sure I'd like to admit to that... but I AM a frugal builder!  I'm on scratch build #3 now... my last build was a dano style that had very modest (and by modest I mean chinese) pickups... wilkinson tuners... but the wood was fairly upper-mid-level.  As i move fwd as a builder I'm temped to go with better stuff as its an awful lot of effort to build... so a couple bux for this and that seems worth it.  That said throughout my years of partscaster builds I've tried to buy bargain-quality... get pickups from craigslist, got a babicz bridge from amazon for $70!!!  I like to think that I buy smart.  I think that not everything that is expensive is great, and not everything that is cheap is trash.  'nuff said!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

My first guitar was built on the budget side. I didn't set a budget but I tried to keep it as cheap as possible. Sapele form the local timber yard, £30 for 2-piece body blanks, £9 for the neck blank. £8 chinese tuners, £15 tunomatic,  that sort of thing. You can also get premium pickups on the cheap if you're prepared to buy second hand (no reason why not to) A lot of people will buy a brand new gibson and put the pickups straight on ebay, 

I'm of the opinion that wood has such a small affect on the tone of a solid guitar, that buying cheap wood is really only an aesthetic compromise, and you can always upgrade pickups/hardware later if you want better sounds of it.

There are a huge number of opportunities for budget builds and there has probably been no better time - albeit there are some shockers amongst them - for excellent quality and cheap hardware, fittings and pickups.

And you can build some very nice playing and nice looking instruments for not a lot at all. :)