individually wrapped pickups

ZekeB

I was reading the skinny build blog and saw a post using individually wrapped pickups.  I've been searching around trying to see if any builders or companies have explored that route.  It just seems like an interesting concept.  You could really place the pickups anywhere and could get some really varied patterns with say the bottom 3 pickups at the bridge with 3 near the neck.  That may be an extreme example but I'm just curious more than anything about the idea.  Does anyone have any experience or knowledge on this concept?

I believe you mean 1 pole = 1 coil... so multi pole multi coil pickup aka single string pickups.  dimarzio makes a bass pickup like this but it's really a big fat humbucker looking pickup with 8 coils inside.  I believe alembic was one of the first to do it.  also perhaps Kay for 6 strings?  I don't know of too many who make individual poles/coils for sale.  You might have to either diy or find someone who winds to do it for you.  here is a link I found for someone who sells some... http://ubertar.com/hexaphonic/one_and_two_string_pickups.html

I have done something similar to this in a few of my basses... dimarzio makes a j pickup that is two smaller coils.  between that and a p pickup I have mixed bridge/neck half coils.  it resulted in some surprisingly great sounds.  hope that helps.

4 hours ago, Norris said:

Paging @Andyjr1515 to fetch out the Psilos bass details...

Edit: Ooh, I'm feeling benevolent...

Sorry - I was snoozing and missed the post :lol:

Yes - this one had individual coils.  One for each string, inserted from the back and invisible from the top:

_MG_2337.thumb.JPG.02b627bf8ddf6963d2272a07ae3c4785.JPG

_MG_2441.thumb.JPG.bc8e647f9d90f4eff764642ba9bdd991.JPG

_MG_2417.thumb.JPG.35e4a1be4d21fd3a49177413eb077f28.JPG

They were custom made by a UK pickup maker.  I think they were based on the individual coils in pickups that go into Wal basses and similar.

His take was simple but actually very effective.  Note the magnets are just neo ones.  When you work out how he's done it it's a bit mind-bending!

Nice thing was that he was also able to wind individual resistances for each coil - and actually I could even have had different strength magnetism just by adding or taking off a magnet.

And they worked an absolute treat! 

• Like 1