Standard American Strat two stud trem template???

wicks_10

I'm new here and sorry to come asking for help. I'm building a HH rear route strat of which I have all the parts and I'm just starting to drill holes for initial setup before finishing the body. I have a Gotoh two post trem and the body I am using says it is cut and routed as an american standard strat. From the specs I can find, I believe it to be dead on but it was not drilled for the trem so that there was the option for use of different trems. I chose to go with the two post but I have searched the internet for a printable template and I can not find one. I just want to make sure my drill holes are dead on but I'm too cheap and broke to by a $40 stewmac routing template to make sure the holes are correct. My hope is that someone on here can help me out with a template that I can print out and use for drilling. 

You'd get a better result by carefully measuring the right places.

You know the intonation rule, don't you? I mean, the distance from the nut edge to the center of the 12th fret should be the same as the distance from the bridge to the center of the 12th fret. Or roughly 1 mm less on the treble side and 3 mm more on the bass side which should be within the range of the adjusting screws of the bridge pieces (set them at center position before measuring). Align the bridge sideways and so the strings will stay within the neck and mark the screw centers carefully with an awl before drilling.

No rocket science, just careful measuring. Positioning a template is as difficult as positioning the actual bridge.

• Like 1

This PDF I made should help. Check with scrap to make sure though. You should be able too print out the PDF to scale and use as a template. download the PDf file. The image is not useable for what you need .

MK

Deleted files as not needed, Wrong Bridge.

Thanks for your replies. I planned on just throwing a low E and a high E string, measuring out to the right scale and marking holes but then I got a little paranoid. Really don't want to screw it up so that's why I was looking for a template. In the end, I still would probably do that even with a template but just using the template as a reference. The bridge that I have is this one. Not the Wilkinson model.

510TS-FE1-Dim2-1.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wicks_10 said:

Thanks for your replies. I planned on just throwing a low E and a high E string, measuring out to the right scale and marking holes but then I got a little paranoid. Really don't want to screw it up so that's why I was looking for a template. In the end, I still would probably do that even with a template but just using the template as a reference. The bridge that I have is this one. Not the Wilkinson model.

OKay give me a little time and I will make a PDF for you.

MK

I've installed a Gotoh VS100N trem before, and at the time made a quick drawing of the critical dimensions:

The VS100N and the unit you have should be similar enough to just drop in as a like-for-like replacement. The only two critical dimensions will be the post spacing and the distance of the posts relative to the intonation point, both of which look to be the same for the two units. The drawing in the above link has both measurements marked.

2 minutes ago, curtisa said:

I've installed a Gotoh VS100N trem before, and at the time made a quick drawing of the critical dimensions:

The VS100N and the unit you have should be similar enough to just drop in as a like-for-like replacement. The only two critical dimensions will be the post spacing and the distance of the posts relative to the intonation point, both of which look to be the same for the two units. The drawing in the above link has both measurements marked.

He's not using the VS100n Curtisa. I just posted a revised pdf for what he is using.. The Gotoh 510TS

MK