Reece_lightning

Reece_Lightning

4 hours ago, Reece_Lightning said:

Hello everyone!

I'm wanting to start a new build and really keen to build a Fender Jaguarillo!

Could anyone be so kind to help me here with replica design plans please? I would try make it myself but bit of a novice here!

Any advice would be much appreciated! 

Cheers in advance! 

not sure one exists.  Honestly I've never heard of a jaguarillo but did a quick search out of curiosity... didn't see any plans.  If you do a google search for the jaguar you'll def find some things... and it looks like the sm body?  I guess it's just a jaguar with dif pickups?  all the info I could fine is that it is a jaguar w 24" scale length neck and a 'simpler' pickup config.  hss with a 5 way I would guess and maybe splitting the humbucker in pos 2?  I suspect you could piece it together pretty easily... the one catch being finding a correct pickguard or building that too.

On 11/26/2019 at 3:19 AM, mistermikev said:

not sure one exists.  Honestly I've never heard of a jaguarillo but did a quick search out of curiosity... didn't see any plans.  If you do a google search for the jaguar you'll def find some things... and it looks like the sm body?  I guess it's just a jaguar with dif pickups?  all the info I could fine is that it is a jaguar w 24" scale length neck and a 'simpler' pickup config.  hss with a 5 way I would guess and maybe splitting the humbucker in pos 2?  I suspect you could piece it together pretty easily... the one catch being finding a correct pickguard or building that too.

On 11/25/2019 at 10:36 PM, Reece_Lightning said:

Hi!

Thanks so much for taking the time to help out!

I was also looking, the one thing that crossed my mind is whether the scale length was any different due to having room for 3 pickups...probably just me!

To add complications I also wanted to go for a open faced body with no pick guard, also want to fit a Scahller Hannes bridge which I'm sure I could figure out. However having the pickguard shape would still really help! 

So would you say go for a fender jaguar plans, maybe source the pickguard online and all should piece together very nicely?

Again, thanks for being so kind to help!

4 hours ago, Reece_Lightning said:

Thanks so much for taking the time to help out!

I was also looking, the one thing that crossed my mind is whether the scale length was any different due to having room for 3 pickups...probably just me!

To add complications I also wanted to go for a open faced body with no pick guard, also want to fit a Scahller Hannes bridge which I'm sure I could figure out. However having the pickguard shape would still really help! 

So would you say go for a fender jaguar plans, maybe source the pickguard online and all should piece together very nicely?

Again, thanks for being so kind to help!

well, I think if you are going to go thru the trouble of building a guitar... why not build something you can't buy? I read that the scale length is the sm, you can find that info on adverts selling the guitar. 

altho the pick guard is such an intricate part of the jaguar look... I think it'd be cool to do one w/o any pickguard... you'd also have to get/make a back cover and a template to cut the hole.   afa templates - make it out of 1/4" stock first (easy to shape) then copy that to 1/2 or 3/4 mdf.  just print it out on paper, glue it to the stock, use a drill to make a hole, use a jigsaw to remove most of the material, then a drum sander to fine tune it. 

afa pickguard... wd makes them.  or you can find used ones on ebay.  or... again, make your own template or buy single coil and humbucker tempaltes and use those.  lay it all out on the wood first.  graphic editor would be a good option as then you can just rotate a pickup outline to 12degrees (or whatever it is) so you get the pole spacing the sm.

I would say - you have to go with what you are comfortable with... but for me I would use a graphics editor to modify a jaguar plan and experiment with different looks/colors/etc.  download the tech docs for the bridge you want and overlay them on the jag plan.  You could even change the scale length if you wanted.  once you have it the way you want, print it out on 3 sheets of 8.5 x 14.5 paper, tape them together, glue it to 1/4 stock and go from there.

other folks just draw it on paper first.  others still draw it all right on the wood.  whatever makes the most sense to you.

I agree, I think why not be different? That being said, I do love the iconic look of the Jaguar. However I'm a fan of natural wood finishes, so if I have a nice top I don't want to cover it up with a pickguard. I'm sure I wont lose the look too much!

Great tips regarding the templates! I'll defo do that, I'll also check out a graphics editor too. Is there one you'd recommend?

Honestly, I cannot wait to start my project! Hoping the end result is what I'm looking for 🙂

I find a decent high res, square on photo on google, import it into adobe illustrator and trace with the pen tool. For mixing up 2 different guitar designs, I'll bring in another guitar and for example, trace the knobs/switch to give me the pot locations etc. Illustrator is vector based so it can be blown up to any size. I tend to do all that for body design, but use a pre existing neck/pocket template that I like to shape the neck. 

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome, @Reece_Lightning !

There are some great flat-on photos of Jaguarillo's on the internet, eg :

Jaguarillo.thumb.jpg.316a5d1bee8bc22eac46283f3a5cfa21.jpg

Another free package that you can use to convert this into a full-size outline is Inkscape.  Again, a bit of a learning curve but plenty of youtube tutorials.

Or - just scaling it up as a PDF and printing it as a Poster with the 'join' guides on multiple sheets will work too

Or - scaling it up by hand.  Because you know the scale length, you can work out the scaling factor from the printed photo to the full-size

I don't know whereabouts in the world you are, but might alsobe some decent kits around for this kind of shape that you can use to modify to your hearts content :

1826492559_Jag2.thumb.jpg.a4d64626d2823b06d8c50080b245c798.jpg

On one of the UK forums, they ran a competition to 'do something' with one of Gear4music's choice of kit shapes.  I went for this one because, like you, I love that offset shape.  I did some pretty major mods to it but it became my go-to gigging guitar for a number of years :)