How Many Knobs

How many knobs should i put on my new gutiar?  

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

if you want to see what it will look like, check this out. The reason I can't decide is I like the look of having two knobs, but I never use a tone knob (im only a rhythm guitarist) and money for the pot isnt an issue cuz im getting an EMG pickup and they come with both a volume and a tone pot and I have plenty of knobs to go on top, its basically should i go for looks or practicality?

I'd go for just the one if you never use the tone. One day I would love a guitar with no knobs, just have a vol. pedal for it!

I'm kind of thinking about this too... I rarely use any of the knobs on my guitar... I sometimes use the volume, but only generally to OFF... lol... but I only play at home, dont gig or anything... I guess if I ever got in a band I might need the knobs... who knows...

I think I might go for tone and volume, and have tone as a push/pull for coil tapping... I dunno yet, I need to look into wiring a bit more :D

well, i actually just changed mym ind, im going to go for zero knobs, just go straight from the pickup to the output jack, and im not going to use EMG's im going to use some stock silvertones that i had lying around from my last project, and i played with them to see how you could go straight from one pickup to the jack, and it worked on my first try, so thats what im going to do. also, what im doing is going using the wire with the rubber casing and soldering that onto one of the jack prongs, and soldering the wire without casing onto the other prong like this:

1pickupdiagram.jpg

i know this works because i tried it by holding it up to my squier bullet and plucked the strings while the jack was plugged in (i know itsp retty ghetto, but hey! it worked! :DB):D )

my question is do i need a ground wire anywhere, im very new to electronics and i know nothing, so if anyone knows if i need a ground wire or something, tell me where or modify that diagram.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

jabsco running it to a pickguard screw would no nothing man!!! the idea is to use your own body as a ground to reduce hum. therefore you connect you to the ground, so you touch the strings and bridge all the time, so logically connect to that to remove hum. This definately works, BUT!!! this isnt advised, removing the earth wire running to the bridge, which the EMGs do is a great thing, as if it was left connected, you are then ground. You, if you had a faulty amp, (usually old tube amps, but not always) could be electrocuted if something shorted, evel earth leakage may **may** be enough to do it... i think the stats are like this... 5mV you feel tingle 10 - 15mV warmth and tingle 20 - 25 mV dangerous, will stop a child's heart and 30mV plus usually is enough to stop a grown adults heart. people have been killed because of this connection, i watched a vid about a bassist it happened to. companies are now supposed to produce guitars without these connections... i know my "old" recent ibanez... 2002 model RG had the connection.

the chance of this happening is low, especially with new amps and if you have an RCD - circuit breaker, these are good to have, safe. personally with my own gear id be happy as larry playing with this lead connected, but a dodgey PA could be the end...

basically i think that with good shielding, you may not even need this connection. I am trying this with my V, of i do need the connection ill need to do a bit of drilling, lol!

hope this helps, if i am wrong do point it out. LK and Ansil will have a better idea ill wager!

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

actually litch im not using emg's i decided that afterwards, but i still dont know if i need to ground it or anything I'm pretty sure i dont need to, because i posted it on the electronics forum and they said go ahead so... yeah.

Edited by silvertonessuckbutigotone