Poplar and Basswood

Hey Hey

I am about to go buy the wood for my 7 string custom V this weekend, I found some really nice Poplar that yould have to be chopped and then book matched, but its only 1/2 inch thick, so it would probaly be the top, but what about basswood for the bottom?? i can get the basswood for 2 bucks a board foot (not planned or anything, rough cut, but very dry)

I have access to 13 inch planer, jointer, bandsaw and I have my own table saw and router and drill press, I also have sand paper (lots of it!)

I was also thinking about building the neck as well, I built the my RR neck, and so far its came out very well, its not radiused, i dont really like that feel, but fretting it was extremely difficult, mesuring, marking, re mesuring, you know, so it might be a possiblity to buy a pre-slotted fretboard and just shape the neck myself

Any thoughts on wood neck? I am going for metal sound,

Curtis

ohh, hmm, shoot that just kinda messed up the thought on my finish, just the way the poplar kinda contrasted together looked pretty slick

what would be wise for a top? i dont want to use maple, and walnut is now out of the question (cant get any now)

mahogany? maybe mahogany for the back and basswood for the top?

I am really looking for that grungy metal sound, i know it also has alot to do with the amp, and all, but hey, i dot a metal pedal and i got GHS boomers :D

Curtis

i've heard a couple of people *cough* bash poplar... then the other day i noticed that steve morse uses that wood on his signature music man custom guitar.... makes you wonder hunh?

i'd say mahogany body maybe closer to what you're looking for rather then basswood, but i think you're asking for a neck wood? poplar is kinda risky... basswood... well good luck (i've tried), maple is the standard for many guitars and may be your best bet.

ok, sounds like I am doing a basswood and alder body with mahogany neck, ok, i am going to go get the basswood sunday and the mahogany and alder monday, maybe a maple fingerboard, got to brighten it up a little :D

Thanks everyone

Curtis

gibson also makes the blueshawk out of poplar, I think those guitars have no soul. its a cheap crappy wood, they make white picket fences out of poplar, not guitars, I know that fly uses them in some necks but having worked in a wood shop and having played a bunch of poplar guitars its a cheap wood. It depends on what you like though. Some people love mahogany some hate it, its all tastes... I have not had much luck with poplar guitars...

Alder and Basswood are 100% better.