think I'm gonna start over

xafier

I've currently trying to improve my thoery and knowledge about playing guitar, and I've just been reading some of the stuff from here:

http://www.cyberfret.com/power-practicing/index.php

The more I read, the more I realise that the last 2 years or so I've spent learning the guitar have been a complete CRAP job! I can only play a few songs all the way through, a few more minus their solo's and million "bits" of songs...

my practising is random, I dont set my practising out or anything, and I skip from song to song when I get annoyed I cant do a piece...

I think I just want to start over, try and forget most of what I've learned, and learn from new the proper way, with proper posture, learning not to have serious muscle strain, and setting myself a plan out...

Just wondering if anyone else has done this? Or if anyone here has any tips of their own on how to go about teaching yourself correctly?

I wish I could afford to get into some real lessons with a good teacher in rock/metal music... but right now I'm seriously broke so that really isnt an option I dont think... Please help, I'll be forever in your debts! B)

then I can shave my ginger mop of hair, have a moheikan and look like this one day:

:D lol

i realised this too, as i only learnt bits of songs and very few full songs... but then i looked at my technique and its solid (thanks to my classical guitar lessons when i was little). :DB)

So the only thing ive changed since then is to learn the whole song and if i find a bit i cant do i skip it and go back to it slowing it down then with a metronome speeding it up till i can play it faster than im supposed to, this way i dont get annoyed with my self that i cant do it and end up learning more songs. :D

So i completly recommend people using metronomes its 1 of the most handy things ive got and if u slow parts u cant do right down and then slowly build it up to the right speed (or even faster like i do cuz then u know u can play it properly) ure speed and accuracy will get better and u dont get stressed out so much... I also use it to learn scales and things so i can improv' solos and things and then i know what notes i can play and what 1s sound good.

Using the metronome with Rusty Cooleys Legato workout is a god send, rediculous streaches that u are rarly going to use but all builds to gether to increase speed.

Oh and another thing ive stopped doing is cracking my knuckles feels good but then they stiffen up again and makes playing faster harder...

just some lil tips... :D

BigT

:D

Well I've been completly self tought, I had a book, but I thought it was kinda sucky so never really read it much... just worked mainly from tabs and some online stuff to learn basic chords and a few scale positions...

I dont own a metranome, but I'm sure I could probably pick one up for cheapish?

I think sometimes I just pick bad songs to learn, like i listen to my fav stuff, think it'd be easy to play, learn the intro, get to the main riff and its a bitch to learn, or get through most of it and suddenly i see an entire A4 sheet thats the solo... and my jaw drops and I just wanna cry... lol

or with the example of "always with me, always with you" by Satriani, I get about 1/4 way through and suddenly theres just bits I cant seem to manage or dont sound right even though Im sure I'm doing it right :D

use PowerTab

I been fiddlin away with that program for bout a week now, sure the guitar sounds bad, but when you get a song you like, something really quick and all, you can change the notes so they are a bit slower, and work at it that way, I am much like you, I can play the intro and main riff of lots of songs, but no solos' or anything, i think i can play 4 FULL songs, including solos (2 dont have them) and they are really easy (Were not going to take it-twisted sister, Smells like teen spirit-Nirvana)

but hey, maybe i shouldnt be sayin anything, specially when i am in the same boat as you

Curtis

or with the example of "always with me, always with you" by Satriani, I get about 1/4 way through and suddenly theres just bits I cant seem to manage or dont sound right even though Im sure I'm doing it right :D

the exact same thing happened with me on that song!! igot through the rhythm part and the first part of the lead and then when he starts moving up the fretboard i just couldn't figure it out!

i love playing that song, though i don't play the backround thing at all like at the beginning... I can play it pretty well up untilafter the little rip around frets 4 to 7 about 3/4 of the way through - haven't learned the rest. And what you said wes, is one of the things i really like about it. its got some quick parts but i can play them because i don't need to pick everything so strictly