Safe-T-Planer?

jay5

I've had one for a while now and use it occasionally. I've experienced the same issues with kick-back as mentioned in that other thread and it can get real ugly if you don't have the piece held down firmly.

I remember seeing a picture of someone's shop where they used it for planing fretboard stock- they had rolers mounted on springs that kept a good downward force on the stock as it moved along. I think that's a real good idea.

It's a useful tool but I haven't had the kind of results that I get from my stationary planer - the surface is rough and sometimes a bit uneven. It's probably a combination of the way I'm holding the stock and possibly dulling blades but who knows?

I've always had to go back and sand the surface after using mine to clean it up. Much different from a stationary planer. If anyone out there has had contrary experiences with it, I'd love to hear how you've got yours set up.

BTW - another place you can find them is at WoodCraft.

For the most part it works really well, you do have the occasional problems. I have gotten acoustic guitar tops, backs, and side woods thicknessed very close to the finished dimensions but you do have to do the last bit with a random orbit sander in order for it to be smooth. If your wood is cupped you will have some problems. Fingerboards, necks, those things seem to do really well.

P.S. Some sort of hold down jig, would probably give better results, and be safer.

I made my opinion of the Safe-T-Planer known in the previous thread. Benedetto may be able to use this device with great success, but when you trash your first piece of really beautiful and expensive wood, you won't be singing many praises about this tool. I've been around the fine art world for 25 years and I can say that some artists are able to use totally rediculous tools and techniques to achieve extraordinary results. Jackson Pollack used brushes large enough to paint a barn with and slopped paint all over the place! His technique redefined the modern impressionist movement. I know photographers that can make fantastic images with a pinhole in a cereal box!......What does this all mean?....It means that a skillful and gifted artist can create great work with crude tools.......others, given the best tools and raw materials, can and will fall short until their skills are honed and polished....and they have a total understanding of their tooling.

......Bust on me if you must!

I have it ,but it take a very stable platform to use it .

since a don't ,i use it mainly to taper up to 1/16 of the dimention i need and finish with a plane,i have more than one.Easyer but a well tune plane is a must.I learn some time ago that a tool usually require a good tunning when first aquired.