Building JS-7 copy

RGGR

In process of making templates for my pick-up routes.

Bit in limbo how to do those little ears on pick-up route. Good example is this RGT320 body.

P1010078.jpg

Option 1.

Use 10mm drill and make two small holes in body to mark out those ears and route rest of pick-up cavity with 1/2" router bit and template.

Or Option 2.

Drill 1/2" holes in template, and use 1/2" template bit to route out complete pick-up cavity incl. side ears.

Option 3.

???

As pick-ups with be mounted in pick-up rings it really doesn't matter much..... although when going for direct-mounted option in future project(s) I would like to see/hear how others tackled this problem.

I searched only for small then 1/2" template bit......and Stew-Mac seem to have 3/8" option available. Is that good solution???

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Routing_...outer_Bits.html

Edited by RGGR

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know the process of making template for routing. I just don't think it will look good using 1/2" template bit to route out little ears. As can been seen in your templates, they differ from the pick-up routes of the Ibanez RGT body with much bigger ears.

I think I'm gonna order the before mentioned 3/8" router bit of StewMac.

With that I will be able to make the smaller ears like on the RGT body.

As said before, I won't really need them now (as pick-up rings will cover little ears) but in next build I will use direct mount pups.

Just wanted to share with you an idea an engineer friend of mine gave me. I was trying to track down an allen key holder for the back of the headstock, but they were difficult to get hold of and expensive. He suggested I get three button magnets and arrange them in an L-shape on the back of the headstock. You just drill three shallow holes and superglue them in. Make sure the magnets you get aren't too strong or you risk pulling them out/not being able to rip the allen key off. Works like a charm and never falls off. Actually looks quite good too and solves the age old Floyd problem of the elusive allen key floating around somewhere in the gig bag.

Edited by dead_lizard

Make sure that you use the 3/8 only for corners or ears, it is too small for removin bulk. Stew also says this in the site.

I was planning using it only when needed. I guess I'm bit picky when it comes to the ears and corners of pup cavity. :D

Mostly I use fostners bit to do heavy lifting....with 1/2" bit to clear route afterwards.

Already saw that I could use sharp new 1/2" bit again.

Yeah, I really dig the look of those small ears. I think it looks very classy. Like direct mount set-up anyway. Contemplated doing this on JS-7......but with decided against it as I think Chrome p-up rings on Candy Apple body finish will look sharp too.

Maiden, good point though that with going for smaller ears I do limit myself in eventual pup choice. Hadn't thought of that yet. :D

With JS-7 I'm pretty much set for Dimarzio Blaze-7 (br) & AN-7 (n) combo. With option being putting TZ-7 in bridge...depending how I like the Blaze-7 in Limba..

As TZ has smaller ears too...I don't see any problem there.

I know SD's can be problem in this set-up as they have tid bigger ears.

Edited by RGGR

The right pickup is definitely important in a guitar. On the other hand, if the right pickup has larger ears, you're only left with 2 options-- larger holes or smaller ears. :D

Using a small grinding disc on a rotary tool, you won't chew through metal fast enough to ruin the pickup, using the flat side rather than using a cutting edge. Take the usual precautions and the odds of ruining it that way should be pretty low.

Greg

you can grind SDuncas, just make sure that you tape the pup, or all the little shavings will stick to the pup and it will be hell to take them all out, the emg can but I don't recomend grinding, it is plastic so it will be easier to shape, but you can weaken the area and have the threaded insert fall out.

Ears on pups are not my concern at the moment. That problem will be tackled with smaller routing bit. Routing smaller ear cavities will create possible problem if I ever want to fit different type pups (read: SD instead of Dimarzio).....but I can life with that risk. For now, Blaze-7 (bridge) and AN-7 (neck) are waiting installation.

I did check-up today on order I placed concerning JS backplates (trem/control) and trussrod cover. But no luck there yet. Dealer couldn't tell when they would arrive....anywhere from 3-6 months wait on this. Not really sure if problem is Serlui.nl (Dutch Ibanez importer) or gooks in Japan that are holding up the process.

Bit bumped out as this will slow down routing of cover cavities......and this accordingly will hold up the painting process.

Option would be to take trem-cover of my RG 2550 EXGK and make routing template of this, and based on pics of the web make my own JS control cover. Not really sure yet. Guess have to have bit more patience.......

And yeah, I know JS has no trussrod cover.......but with neck I'm going for more Radius type look with angled headstock and trussrod cover. That's fun part of doing custom.......you can do exactly as you like.

Oh, wait Ibanez is not even selling a regular JS-7. Darn!! :D

In process of making templates for my pick-up routes.

Bit in limbo how to do those little ears on pick-up route. Good example is this RGT320 body.

P1010078.jpg

Option 1.

Use 10mm drill and make two small holes in body to mark out those ears and route rest of pick-up cavity with 1/2" router bit and template.

Or Option 2.

Drill 1/2" holes in template, and use 1/2" template bit to route out complete pick-up cavity incl. side ears.

Option 3.

???

As pick-ups with be mounted in pick-up rings it really doesn't matter much..... although when going for direct-mounted option in future project(s) I would like to see/hear how others tackled this problem.

I searched only for small then 1/2" template bit......and Stew-Mac seem to have 3/8" option available. Is that good solution???

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Routing_...outer_Bits.html

A 1/2" bit is too big as the radius is sitll 1/4" and those ears have a smaller radius at their peak. You need a 1/4" bit. The problem with that is, I doubt you'll find one with a bearing on it. So what you need to do is make a template that is actually oversized so that you can use a 1/4" bit with say a 1/2" or larger bushing. So, your template must be oversized by half the difference in size between the bushing you use and the 1/4" straight bit. It's a template that's a minor pain in the ass to make, but you'll only have to do once.

Dave

I made very close fitting CAD templates of my Dimarzio Blaze and AN pups and the top-radius of the ears are close to 10mm.

A 1/4" bit won't do (figuring they even exist or I could locate one.)

The 3/8" template bit will work wonders. Template can be made using 10mm drill bit on end of ears. In theory this will yield nice template.

Like I said before, problem solved. Off to next.

Oh for people wanting dimension of Dimarzio 7 string pups....click on link

Dude, just make your own covers. Get some scratchplate material (or any suitable plastic) and cut it out and sand the edges.

Dude,....I have thought of that.

If you want to reproduce the ibanez cover shapes, just find a decent photo of the cavities, print those and cut around them.

Already scaled this pic and printed it out on paper. Just for test fitting.

Control_cover_JS.jpg

Edited by RGGR