Book Matched My Arse Cheeks!

Ok, Ive been looking round the net to help in my (first) guitar design process and I have noticed that bookmatched tops rarely match up (at the join). Whats the deal? Even all the pictues on the PRS site show guitars with bookmatched maple that dont actualy match very well. Quilted maple doesnt seem as bad as flamed maple, and some other woods seem to work better.

So is it just heavily figured wood that doenst match well? Am i right in think this is becuase the figuring changes after a bit of sanding? I assume a carved top would bugger it up all together?

And so if i want a well (at the join :D) matched top I should avoid heavly / fine figured wood?

Tbh I dont like seeing the join like down the center of the guitar, somtimes it looks ok but most of the time it spoils the look imo.

cheers,

chris

Bookmatching isnt perfect becasue one has to cut, sand, and plane the veneer down. As such, the two sides diverge from the point at which they would match. Look at a piece of wood. Is the grain exactly the same on one side as the other? No. Thats why bookmatching isnt perfect.

My theory is that a guitar is meant to be viewed from a distance. Say 4 ft at least. At that distance, you really cant tell.

Figured woods have bvery active grain, so it may seem like they match less. Something like cherry with fine grain may be less noticeable.

I've got to admit...

I don't know much about wood, but even an amateur can see that PRS sometimes falls very short with bookmatching. I've noticed it since long before this thread, and I bet others have, too.

Greg

but of course they won't match up, when you put a saw to the plank you are going to take away some wood, the only way u could have a perfect bookmatch was if you didn't take away any wood. Adn since this is the way saws work it is impossible with a saw, i don't think you could get it perfect even with a laser,(if this is possible, i don't know)

remember too that the grain is bookmatch, not the figure. And quilt or flame may not match from one inch to another whithin the wood planck.But i must admite that the bookmatching on some of those picture is off by a lot.PRS is mass produce mainly by machine i gess ,it would be far more precise bookmatching using just your eyes and skill. :D

remember too that the grain is bookmatch, not the figure. And quilt or flame may not match from one inch to another whithin the wood planck.But i must admite that the bookmatching on some of those picture is off by a lot.PRS is mass produce mainly by machine i gess ,it would be far more precise bookmatching using just your eyes and skill. :D

Your wrong, every pic in this thread is PERFECTLY bookmatched, inc the PRS examples. Machines have NOTHING to do with it.

And for the record, PRS bookmatches all their guitar tops by hand.

I've been lurking here for a while but this subject got me registered.

Hello everyone!

I recently split a nice piece of lacewood that had one side look like a 'negative' of the other after polishing. Interesting effect. :D

Having said that, the guitars pictured look pretty good. Especially the large PRS.

Peace.

I've used it in all sorts of projects in the past but the 'look' can be a bit much on some furniture. I've found it to be a bit heavy but I imagine it wouldn't be bad for a carve-top. I had a piece recently that had really the broad 'tiger stripes' on one side and was probably wide enough for a top but the run of the grain was a bit off.

People still play crib? :D