Volume control

Dear everyone,

I'm building my first guitar and need a lot of advice since i'm in Thailand where not many material are exist(available). And my question is

1. "Why do i need a volume control?" I've asked all of my friends that how they adjust the volume. all of them said they're just turn its to maximum.

2. What's it really for? Can't i just use only tone control?

Thank you for every answer,

Suprast Kampe

heck you dont need any if you dont want. but a volume knob is nice to control the output from the guitar so if you have a heavy over drive on and you want just a little breakup sound turn down your volume and you can get a diferent level. as far as the tone knob some time i turn mine down a little bit sometimes. but its a personal preference you can put one on your guitar or you can just wire it through the tone. :D

"I have never used the tone knob on any guitar I have ever owned."

What do you do with them? Do you leave them on or off?

I just leave mine on their highest setting and don't really touch them.

How would it affect tone if I were to rewire and bypass the tone pots?

I definately use my volume knob, not so much the tone knob. I rewired a strat so that I have an active pickup in the bridge position and passive pickups in the middle and neck positions. So, in that case I use the volume to control the gain difference between passive and active. It also allows you to adjust the amount of gain from your guitar giving you control over the distortion level on your amp. So, I guess what I'm saying is I would keep the volume if it were me. :D

bypassing the tone pot does not affect the tone.it will sound the same as if the tone was all the way up.and yes globbits you can wire directly to jack.i believe it is hot lead to hot jack terminal,ground lead to ground terminal,ground terminal to bridge,but this only works for one pickup,more requires a switch obviously.by the way the tone knob works by taking output away from the pickup and sending it to ground,so by turning the knob "up" you are actually taking away it's effect.which is why there is no effect on tone.

<snip> and tone knobs don't enhance tone,they remove it(for warm clean sounds and such.i never use mine

I have a nice mid boost/cut on my strat that is actually useful, and draws no current from anywhere. Did have a circuit somewhere, but since my move not everything has yet surfaced!#

:D

does that work like an eq?i scoop the mids out with my 12 band eq.even though i like the sound of mids in some forms of music(blues and such)i don't want to hear them when i play.taking out the mids seems to deepen and smooth out the gain,which is great for me.

"I have never used the tone knob on any guitar I have ever owned."

What do you do with them? Do you leave them on or off?

I just leave mine on their highest setting and don't really touch them.

How would it affect tone if I were to rewire and bypass the tone pots?

Well, in all honesty, when I first started playing, I did use the tone knobs.

But only because they were there, and I thought I had to.

I leave them cranked.

Why would I want to muddy up the sound?

I keep the rest set up so that I can get all the sounds needed by switching p/u or channel on the amp...

And I have a guitar with no knobs on it whatsoever.

One humbucker, and an output jack.

Rock on!!!!!!

does that work like an eq?i scoop the mids out with my 12 band eq.even though i like the sound of mids in some forms of music(blues and such)i don't want to hear them when i play.taking out the mids seems to deepen and smooth out the gain,which is great for me.

Exactly. The pot set at 5 on the 0-10 scale is neutral - that's your equivalent to bypassing the normal tone controls.

Turning the knob towards 0 cuts or scoops the mid, quite dramatically by hte time you reach 0. Drops distortion by a degree as well if you've any operating.

Turning the knob towards 10 boosts the same freqs, also boosting distortion if you're using any. I use this quite often when using a gritty sound for rhythm, as whacking the tone to 10 boosts the grit sufficiently for a solo.

I'll try to dig out the circuit, but I do know I bought it pre-assembled on a pot from Torres in the UK. Very cheap, and worth every penny.

:D