truss rod channel

asm

i just got a stewmac hot rod and i forgot they make the width a STUPID 7/32" width which is an extremely hard bit to find.

sooo. how exact does it have to be? can i just route a tad smaller size and then sand till it goes in?

ive seen people say "NO" you have to get exact size, then a recent guy went with one larger bit and said it worked. just wanting to make sure.

thx

I've managed ok with a 1/4" bit and then shim the two brass blocks firmly in on each end. Whats between the blocks doesn't really matter, the rods don't contact the sides anyway. Hell, I can remember the very first truss rod slot I routed was crooked as a dog's hind leg, :D . But it still worked out ok. Just make sure your anchor points ( the blocks) are set in firmly.

A 7/32in bit is not an extremely hard bit to find.....Frued, Whiteside, Jesada, Bosch and about a dozen other companies make them.....Do a Google search and you should be able to find one and order it online in 5 minutes. I know I've posted links to the ordering pages of some of these companies.

I've managed ok with a 1/4" bit and then shim the two brass blocks firmly in on each end. Whats between the blocks doesn't really matter, the rods don't contact the sides anyway. Hell, I can remember the very first truss rod slot I routed was crooked as a dog's hind leg, :D . But it still worked out ok. Just make sure your anchor points ( the blocks) are set in firmly.

Just do that.

I think (don't quote me though) that I once used a 3/16ths bit, the next size smaller (and easier to find in stock) and the actual rod fit in just fine. Then I chiseled or dremeled each end for the blocks. I've also made the bottom of the hole rounded many times with a 3/16ths cove bit, so as to leave some extra wood under the rod. It also makes a nice cradle for the rod to nestle in if you have to use it to correct backbow. I've had their bit for a long time though, so this would've been at least 5-7 years ago or whenever the hot rods first came out. You'd have to check if the main rod section could fit in a 3/16ths slot. The other thing that's been discussed here is to use the 3/16ths bit and just poke your jig over slightly for a second pass to pick up the extra 16th.

As for the rod itself. I like it. Unless you're making "Wizard" dimensions (and I know some of you including Jeremy are) it's not too tall. Plus I want the rod as narrow as possible. You get more strength out of a neck by having a taller narrower slot than a shorter wider one.