carving neck shape

asm

i was just thinking why *wouldn't* someone just buy a large roundover bit to do the back of the neck.

unless you do a compound radius you get a perfect cut all the way down the board, unlike by hand and chunking it out with a rasp.

is it the cost of the bit for the large size or what?

well think about this:

the neck narrows, so if you had the bit the perfect size to round it at the heel end, towards the headstock the cuts would overlap and make a point . even if you sanded it down the radius would change significantly.

if you had it so the cut was right at the headstock youd end up with a flat bottom towards the heel.

i was thinking about that

but what if you just calculated half the width of the neck at the nut, and used that for the width of the bit, then carved down to the heel, you would be left with a strip that got wider as the cut went farther to the heel where it didnt reach to the center. dig?

so then you just have to hand plane or sand down a little raised strip in the center to meet either side, which would be easier than hand radiusing the whole neck.

wouldnt that work?

i was thinking about that

but what if you just calculated half the width of the neck at the nut, and used that for the width of the bit, then carved down to the heel, you would be left with a strip that got wider as the cut went farther to the heel where it didnt reach to the center. dig?

so then you just have to hand plane or sand down a little raised strip in the center to meet either side, which would be easier than hand radiusing the whole neck.

wouldnt that work?

that is what i did on my last neck

i have officially built three necks...first one i rough cut with a bandsaw and used sandpaper to do the profile...#2 i used a drum sander to take away most of the excess wood

and #3 i used a 45 degree router bit to shave off the sides,then used a rasp and sandpaper to do the rest

all methods work...some just take longer

only reason im thinking about going the router bit way is because i can get a 100% even cut all the way down BOTH sides of the boards in a couple of passes. im worried that its gonna be a pain to carve the back of the neck and then try to get it straight with hand tools.

its also becoming extremely hard to find a 1 1/4" radius roundover bit in a 1/4 shank. everything is 1/2 and i dont have/ know anyone with a router that big. hmmm. problems problems

Then just do it by hand. Use a spokeshave and/or rasps & files. It'll be a fun learning experience. The more power tools you use to make your guitar the easier it is, but that takes away from the fun.