strat trem blocking

forgive me if someones asked this before, i did search, but found nothing..

on my squier strat, the trem is getting on my nerves, ie: i palm mute, and it bends strings :D

anyway that i can block the trem, to make it never work again?

cheers

dan

Guest AlexVDL
i palm mute, and it bends strings :D

anyway that i can block the trem, to make it never work again?

Dan, is it a floyd rose tremolo or a vintage tremolo?

If it's a vintage trem you won't have to block it. It seems to me the baseplate of your trem does not touch the body, so it acts like a floating trem. All you have to do is add more springs in case you have space left, and screw the two screws which are holding the spring mounting claw further into the body. This could even prevent from detuning while you're bending up :D

Also you can still use the tremolo to go down, but it will feel a lot stiffer B)

thanks, while i'm at it, i'm planning on switching necks too, i love the one i finished myself - the one you never got pics of (never fear, new camera in next few months) its still smooth and shiny as hell - thank god for brasso and floor wax B)

i also want to do an electrical mod, something which doesn't alter the appearance, looked at guitarelectronics.com and didn;t see anything interesting...i only want to do something interesting which alters the sound...maybe ansil can help :/

edit: alex, its a vintage trem, which is why i couldn't find any info on the board...sorry for the confusion :D

Edited by weezerboy

Listen to Alex.. he knows what he's talking about. Every Fender guitar I've owned or have setup for other people, has had additional springs added, plus the spring claw tightened. After that is done, you can tighten the 6 screws on the bridge to really lock it in good, just don't get carried away with the tightening though. All the Strats I've seen have been setup terribly from the factory in this regard. Most Strats won't stay in tune because of the tremelo, so taking it out of the picture leaves you with a guitar that never goes out of tune, but only if proper measures are done at the nut area. I take a small measuring cup and mix dry graphite with vasoline, mix it up real good, and use a q-tip to apply in the nut slots. I'm telling you if the slots are cut decently, you won't have to tune up the whole night of a show. I guarantee that.

i did search, but didn't want info on blocking FR because i don't have one

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...0&hl=trem+block

This is from the search, I posted here a few times and the trem in question is a 6 screw strat type. Fram my Squier. Go to the page Soap gave you and you will find what your looking for, I will try to take some pics of my strat blocked and post them so you can see.