I've been busy...

Hey everyone. Thanks for the feedback on my first build. I decided to try and push it a bit for my next couple.

The first pics are from a variation on the first guitar I built. This one has a 30 year old mahogany back that came out of a bar in florida. It literally was part of the bar. Lots of soul! It's got a thin maple cap on it that I did a passable at best job of getting a seamless bookmatch. I tstill have to do some work with contouring the grip and ajdusting the neck pocket for an angle. I've got a Bigsby B-5 on the way and I'll be doing the finish in Cherry Sunburst wuth 2 or 3 P-90's in it, wired like a Les Paul.

The second pics are from the true flame guitar. I had been kicking this idea around for a while and after a marathon drinking and drawing session with my roommate this was the final design. The next day, sober and hung over I made the templates and that night I started the carve. This is out of a solid block of mahogany. I still have a lot of detail sanding to get done and the neck pocket will need to be brought in a little more to the body, but you can get a good idea of where I'm going with it. I'm not even a metalhead but I figured this would be a kickbutt conversation piece when playing out or hanging on the wall. This will get a TOM bridge and be string through.

DSCN0218.jpg

Photobucket site Pics

More here: More Pictures

The pics are a lil big so my apologies!

Edited by Nicksguitar

Thanks for all the kind words guys. It helps keep me focused and sanding.... and sanding... And yes, I fully know what a joy ride the finishing process will be. I was thinking blackburst edges to the flames, a little amber on the inside that's transparent and hand painted red edges near and up to the tip. I fear putting too much black or solid colors because it will show any imperfections in the carve and I'm trying to be realistic.

I'm putting a cavity cover on the lower rear flame cut and a simple volume, tone and 3 way roto nob. It's a little farther back than I would have liked but it's really the only option. I'll post a pic when I get a chance to take one.

And it will be called Hades, because it only seems fitting and I haven't seen the name used anywhere for a guitar. :D