Homemade 14" bandsaw riser

Lex Luthier

oh my god please please please do not use that, unless you inspect it each time before you use it.

If you band saw catches with the blade the amount of torque will throw the head loose.

please DO NOT DO THIS!!!

I have worked in a wood shop for years now and MDF is not good for this. It moves, any water in the air will eventaully ruin that wood. Please buy the real riser kit.

You are talking about steel to wood... Look at how the upper arm is engineered. Wood is not a good substitute....

you can cut alluminium with regular tools (ex router with standard bit) where as we'd need special metal cutting tools to cut steel? correct? nice matt, that's as high as my bandsaw now, only i don't use a block :D

Ok dude, you keep doing that and when your router galls teh aluminum and catches and flips around on you and routes your face off I'll sit back and just shake my head B)

Routers are NOT designed for metals, not even metals as soft as aluminum. I also would NEVER use a regular router but to cut aluminum. That's asking for disaster.

Maybe I'm fortunate to have worked in the machining industry but I have seen what can happen with aluminum with proper tools and man, I would NEVER use a handheld router for working aluminum, not in a million years.

HOLY CRAP!!!!! First we are making riser blocks out of wood and now routing aluminum.....At one point someone actually asked if they could chuck a sanding drum in a router!!!!! I've stood back now and read some amazing posts, but I have to say...... YOU GUYS ARE NUTS!!!! IT IS AMAZING THAT A FEW OF YOU STILL HAVE ENOUGH DIGITS LEFT TO ACTUALLY PLAY A GUITAR THAT YOU BUILT! I gotta tell ya....Safety is paramount when working with tools...power or hand......The common denominator to a vast amount of the posts on this board is...."How can I build this guitar for nothing"..... or ....."What is the cheapest way to do this".......I've yet to read anything about safety.

.....I've got a suggestion for a poll....WHO HERE HAS ALL THEIR FINGERS?

Go ahead and bust on me if you feel the need, I'm just glad that I've got nothing to do with your major medical insurance.

Moderators.....delete this if you want, but someone has to post using a cautionary tone....maybe someone will wake up and save themselves from serious injury.

Moderators.....delete this if you want, but someone has to post using a cautionary tone....maybe someone will wake up and save themselves from serious injury.

Nothing wrong with throwing safety up as an issue I'd much rather see that then loose somebody to a questionable idea......... :D

Like I said before, make it out of aluminum or steel. Where's that Thread contains bad advise that Perry used to stamp all the time when you need it...

and WOW, routing aluminum with a router, holy smokes, whats next, please somebody post something crazier than this... PLEASEEE. To cut aluminum at the speed that the router goes you need a special coolant (even thought some machinist still uses water) in order top keep the bit cool and prevent it from filling up with te aluminum. Take a good look at a metal lathe and willing machine and then compare this to your router and tell me if you find a difference.