Realy need some info on stains?

B) Hi there a few months ago I tryed to stain my flying v black with a water-based acetaline dye on flamed maple. When I was done it looked great as far a I new so I brought it to an automotive shop for them to laqer it for me and the laqer refused to adhere to the wood so I brought it home with me and sanded it down and tryed agan with a new die but same type and I did the laquer my self and I had the same problem.

so now Ive got this new dye [blendal powder stain-concentrated] and I don't know how to use it for my next guitar so I thought insted of trying blindly and destoring another axe I would ask for help this time

Thanks

!!METAL MATT!! :D

did you clean your wood thouroughly?that is the only thing i know of that would cause that...or else you used close grained wood and sanded it to a higher grit than you should have

I thought cleand the wood well but I may not have but it sounds more likely

that it was a close grained wood and I sanded it to a higher grit than I should have.

No I know it was a water based dye and it did penetrate the wood very well and thats why I don't know what's going on with it.

Edited by !!METAL MATT!!

it maybe that you did not sand correclty or you were not letting enough lacquer get on the wood? I don't think that a auto shop would spray something that was not prepped right... very interesting problem.

Iam sure they would but I have 2 problems, 1. I don't know how to upload pics yet 2. The guitar was sanded so thin that it lost is look altogeather so now it's scrap wood and it's in 5 pices. sorry!! B)

now Ive got this new dye [blendal powder stain-concentrated] and I don't know how to use it

sorry it took me so long to back at this but I could still use some info on the above

dye/stain :D

Thanks

!!METAL MATT!! B)

I also suspect an oil based stain.  Stains only cover the wood, whereas, dyes actually penetrate the wood.

Cool info, thx.

This thread topic is another example of why I get mixed up info about stains/dye.

Thread topic says "stains" but then discussion is about "dye". :D

Very confusing for a mentally challenged noob like myself when trying to sift through all the hits using the search function. B)

If you have time Metal Matt, let me know what caused your problem and how you fixed it. Please and Thanks! :D

, let me know what caused your problem and how you fixed it. Please and Thanks!

No problem I will give you all the info I can when I get some. B)

Thanks