Talent Show

Curtis P

OK, I am most likely going to (for the first time ever!!) enter into my schools talent show, which consits sololey(sp??) of bands, so its just a battle of the bands,

Now, I am goin to be on guitar (duh) and my one drummer will be playing drums, so far, no bassist, I am the only guitarist

Should we cover? or write our own? auditions are November 15 so i got plenty of time to get practiced up with the drummer.

If we go cover, heres our options:

1)Metallica-Crash Course in Brain surgery

2)Metallica-For whom the bell Tolls

3)Metallica-Seek and destroy (i can play it WAY better now)

4)Metallica-Creeping Death

Other thoughts?

Curtis

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, from that list I wouldnt choose anything but For Whom the Bell Tolls. Not that I dont like the others, but meh :D Give us some recordings of the whole band playing and then a better opinion would be given B) If your vocalist is up to it maybe Harvester of Sorrow? Must be sung with lots of grunt though :D

To be honest for a general thing, if u want a metallica song, just go with enter sandman. Great ratio of boppers who know it to everyone else, its simple, and if you do it right it will sound really good.

I will never recomend this, except because its a HS thing. Go for a song everyone know and the rock and roll that everyone knows is like switchfoot, and (heres what i dread) the Darkness. I believe in a thing called love will get a lot of crowd pleasures. Also switch the bands a bit. Put in like ACDC Back i BLack or maybe some Led Zepplin Kashmir. Heck they will know it from the remake P Diddy did for godzilla. LOL. And what big d said, you have songs for chicks, the chicks boyfriend or the guy who wants that chick will think its cool too. It seems the School life revolves around the girls. Well thats my 2 cents. Oh no offence for the people who like the Darkness, but they only have one decent song, Thing Called love.ADD ON

Perfect band hit me, Red Hot Chilli Peppers

Edited by monkey69962000

if you play slayer people will go nuts as seen from experience, who cares about the stupid emo kids and anyone that likes pop crap like the darkness play what you want, metallica examples dont play enter sandman its over played no one wants to hear it unless you can play it note for note solos included, that goes for pretty much all songs, id say go with seek and destroy but again play the full song, and if you really wanna piss the administration off play until it sleeps like metallica did at the vma's ( they played so what and mtv couldnt censor it Brilliant by all means )

MzI

since this is a talent show, i dont know you and your drummers playing capabilities but try something from dream theater!!! and if u cant do that, try some iron maiden, wasted years is very easy(a way to make it look cool is do the OVER UNDER technique in the beginning), anyway whatever you play... good luck

p.s. my band is covering dance of eternity by dream theater and la villa strangiato by rush, so maybe u could try one of those, they arent easy but the are cool

Edited by thrashncrust

One by Metallica

Just because I'm listening to it now,

but I think aslong as you got good stage presence anything would be good. Songs like stairway to heaven would be cool. Or something classic rock, everyone loves classic rock guitar riffs. Jeff Beck's Let Me Love You would work perfectly.

Songs like stairway to heaven would be cool.

Dont play stairway, sorry but ur not jimmy page if u were then itd b allowed but until then stairway denied

MzI

Your playing it for a hs talent show though, not a big concert or anything. I was just throwing out suggestions for songs people would want to hear that they can relate to and rock out.

i'd bust out some van halen,  maybe panama or 5150

now your talkin!!

but we are practicing for whom the bell tolls and seek and destroy

I really REALLY wanted to do Domination by Pantera, but I aint good enough to play it yet :D someday...

Curtis

Edit

What about all along the watchtower? I got the powertab for it, and it really doesnt look too difficult, if i can get it down pat then that would be cool to play

Curtis

Edited by Curtis P

Curtis there is only ONE thing thats important. Okay songs you can REALLY play excellent. If you play something simple an play it great you will impress much more people then if you play something difficult and play it bad. Even some simple AC/DC song like TNT will convince much more people then a badly played Seek&Destroy....

Maestro

I dont want to sound like an idiot or anything, but just because i am stubborn, it will sound like that

If i practice it, and practice it it will eventually sound right and wont be all mumbled and jumbled

so, heres what i am going to do, I am going to practice all along the watch tower until i get it right, and then record it and have everyone here rate it, if it turns out to be a good rating thats what i will use, if not, then i will go with something simple

Curtis

i like the medley idea mentioned earlier.. how about finding a cheese ball emo song, and then find an old school metallica song which is in the same key. 20 seconds in you drop the hammer and turn the amps to 11.

My amp dont go to 11 :D lol, its still loud though

Curtis

My amp dont go to 11  :D  lol, its still loud though

Curtis

Sounds like you got an amp modification to do mister!

BTW...when your backstage and they give out finger sandwiches before the show, just fold the meat so it fits the bread. B):D

HEY! That's it! B)

He can play 'Smell the glove" by Spinal Tap :D

Better yet..."Stonehenge" and get some dwarves to dance onstage as all the band emerges from big, like, peapod...thingies. THAT would rawk the house down! :D