New inlay projects

Guest AlexVDL

Alex -

Wow - that's quite a project you've got there! I've only done one vine inlay and I really could have used a laser cutter for those. The hardest part for me was tracing/scribing the cavities. Even when glued with duco, some of the pieces moved on me and I had to get out the good 'ol filler. That was my biggest saving grace - the ebony board really helped hide those problems.

Here's what I'm talking about:

vinefull.jpg

Vine pic #2

I did mine using brass for the stem and a combination of gold and white MOP. I like the pearloid material and have been waiting for a good project to use it on but haven't used it yet.

Will you be able to use that laser for cutting the cavities? That would be so sweet. I'm looking forward to seeing how these turn out!

Dave

Alex thats very nice, I like the way that the vine looks over that bocote blank. I would sure use it instead of the maple, and I think that the pyramids will look good on either but I'm inclined with the darker woods myself.

daveq. As always, I love the vine in ebony is it oiled in that pic, or is it just polished?, and the LEDs to top it up, but I think that green LEDs will have looked better, anyway, it look wonderfull both of them.

Why everybody always want everything free!

Isn't the purpose of a forum to SHARE information with other people. Help'm out when they have similar problems you once encountered???

Good point and in order for the forum to continue sharing information it needs donations to stay alive. This place takes money to operate! Now it would be ideal if people gave just for the warm fuzzy feeling it gives but the reality is that most people need some incentive to part with their cash. That is why those files are for contributing members.

The other alternative is to get out a pencil and come up with something original that you can be truly proud of. It takes a good craftsman to copy something but it takes a good artist to create.

The other alternative is to get out a pencil and come up with something original that you can be truly proud of. It takes a good craftsman to copy something but it takes a good artist to create.

And once you create this one of piece put it on CAD and give it to everybody that asks for it! Or you can send it to the MODs to add in the download section and become a member of the "I DONATED" to the forum, "all it takes is a little help from a friend".

But really, I understand the point that you brought up, but if there is free info on the net and we know of we post it here. The CADs and programs here on the download section ar donated by the members of the forum, and as stated the only way to access them is by donating to the forum, I think that you get more than your moneys worth if you look at the amount of stuff and the prices that some other sites sell the drawings.

actually you can bring a jpg right into cad the way it is, its actually better to use a jpeg then a bmp, and then you trace it with spline and what not , its under the insert bar on the top its called raster image

sorry for the hijack

MzI

Edited by MzI