Copy Of My First Guitar

PerryL

The first guitar I ever built was a copy of Steve Vai's Swiss Cheese Guitar Minus the cheese Holes. Originally it had a grip on the side and had a floyd that was removed since I canibalized it for my Ibanez Roadstar and replaced it with the Roadstar's trem.

Well, The roadstar trem didn't work with it very well so I blocked off the trem hole with wood blocks and fastened it down there without the Trem Block. It worked fine for what it was worth since I used it more for a banger than anything else. The last time I modded the thing, was a Maple inlay to cover the trem block and I miscalculated the route and went thru the trem cavity so it went to the scrap pile. Since those days are gone and I got really nostalgic a while back, I decided to recreate the guitar that gave me so much pleasure and Fun. It's Poplar, Rough cut and no frills, so don't hold it against me until I get it finished. x1_copy.JPG

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like it Perry. I am constantly amazed at the variety of designs the people here at PG come up with. I guess I'm just not artistic enough to think up some of the cool looking guitars that you guys do.

One thing I have always been a bit uneasy with though, is the sharp chisled edges on some peoples designs. Don't get me wrong, to each his own. I just have always considered a shape with rounded edges and horns to more pleasing to my eye. I guess that explains my user name. I have always been partial to Strats.

The sharp pointy horns look more like weapons to me than a work of art like I think a fine musical instrument should be. Overall, though I like that shape very much.

I was trying to tell, "Is that three pieces laminated for the body ?" And what wood is it ? It does not look like it will lend itself to a clear finish very well, but that is just my opinion. But then again, most metal axes (which is what I think when I see this guitar) don't really suggest a clear finish. They look better in loud bold solid colors, or this one would would even look great in a Gothic color and theme.

Anyway, please post some more pictures as this project progresses !

Yep, To each his own, Right. When I built the first one I was going for that METALKILLEMALLANDTAKENOPRISONERS look and wanted it to look like "Stevie's" guitar. It's 3 piece Poplar and it's gonna get a Dark Green Auto Paint. A Sunken Tuna-matic bridge, strung thru the body with a single PAF Pro and single Volume Control with a Dimarzio Locking Jack for Output. I'm also going to soften those sharp edges a bit since it is quite drastic in it's raw stage. Right now it reminds me of a Breast/Warlock/Vai body and I want to change something subtle to change it, but I just don't know what just yet. Any Ideas how I could rework it?

Edited by PerryL

Well Perry, since you asked, and these are only my thoughts and I wouldn'y want you to change your vision due to me.

That being said, I think I would round the edges, front and back, but with a small round over, like 1,/4". Then I would soften the horns, in front, and the "fins" in back, just a little. I think I would also put a body contour on the back, but not on the front, that would take away from the metal/goth effect.

You know what ? I just realized why this shape seemed familiar to me. Its the female form, if you look at it. It should be long, and lean and soft in the curves. Elegant, but with a sharp edge, you know ?

Fender4me Posted on Oct 14 2004, 05:44 PM

You know what ? I just realized why this shape seemed familiar to me. Its the female form, if you look at it. It should be long, and lean and soft in the curves. Elegant, but with a sharp edge, you know ?

Exactly what I thought before I saw your post!!

Very nice Perry!! My only concern is the upper horn.....it looks very fragile and susceptible to breaking off. It doesn't look like a design that will be handled gently (nor should it be!!). Keep the pics coming......

Much Thanx to Everyone for the Input. That's why I put it up to you all, You have that discerning eye for detail and form. Can't get this kinda input from just anyone. The body Is Poplar and I guarantee it won't break at the upper horn. Poplar is the most rugged wood I've ever worked with. The first one never even dented with as many times as I dropped the bloody thing. And That was alot. Guys, Think I should put the handle or Monkey Grip in this one or not. It's not in the plans at the moment but It could be. I will be using a bevel on this instead of a Drastic roundover but I haven't figured out exactly how yet. The 45 degree's are fantastic on the angular bodies but this has too many curves to pull it off and to look good, IMO, But we'll see.

Edited by PerryL

I'd vote for no monkey grip. I've just never understood why they exist....

As for the bevel, I'd suggest doing it the way it's done on my Jackson KE3. Nearly no bevel far from the corners, more and more bevel as you get closer to the corner. Your shape is not as easy though, but I think if you use the above as a rule, and then just "go with the flow", you'll be fine.

Nice guitar, keep the pics coming!

LOL, Tirapop....You are joking aren't you? The swirl finish would be great but Seriously, The MonkeyGrip is outta here. Thought breifly about a Marblized finish on top and Black for the rest but think I'm gonna go with the Green to keep with my original vision. I am still up for other ideas tho since you all have been right on with the ideas so far. Also, thought breifly about straightening out some of the curves to get a 90 degree bevel on the edges.

Also, thought breifly about straightening out some of the curves to get a 90 degree bevel on the edges.

My vote is leave the curves Perry. You have a beautiful design there :D

IMO you should leave the shape and put maybe a slight roundover to take off the sharp edge physically, but from a distance it appears as if its still there. Just take off enough to make it comfortable to play without comprimising the look you've come up with. It's a very appealing design even to me and I'm pretty traditional when it comes to design.

FWIW!!

Todays work involved sanding the body flat, Routing the Neck Pocket but Made a slight miscalculation on the neck pocket depth. It's 1/8" too deep and the fingerboard hangs on the body instead having a gap for the angle. It's not too big a deal but I had an idea of contouring the front to make it easier to get to the lower frets. I drew a lil pencil line on the body to give you and idea what I mean but it's usually used only on the back side. Whatta you guys think?

X2.JPG

Edited by PerryL

After MUCH thought on the matter, It's gonna stay as it is. I'll shim the neck and that should be it. There's only 5/8" of material in the neck pocket so it's just gonna get rounded slightly. The top contour is out. I'll be drilling the string holes and bridge pieces the next day off I have and get the pickup and control cavity routed. And keep the ideas coming for the Mods guys.

Edited by PerryL

LOL, Tirapop....You are joking aren't you?

Only half joking about the bowling ball grip.

I don't really get the purpose of the monkey grip. With a guitar strap, a case, and the neck to hold onto, is there really a pressing need for another way to transport a guitar? Is there some sort of stagecraft associated with the monkey grip or is it just the looks?

After seeing yet another JEM replica build with a monkey grip, I thought... why not a bowling ball grip. Three holes and it would be just as useful and a lot more unique. In addition to the swirl (bowling ball) finish, you could put on a maple fingerboard with lane marker style inlays to complete the look. Dress to shred in a bowling shirt and a wrist brace on your picking hand... and remember to follow through on those big chords.

but I had an idea of contouring the front to make it easier to get to the lower frets. I drew a lil pencil line on the body to give you and idea what I mean but it's usually used only on the back side. Whatta you guys think?

Looking at guitar like that, the thought would come to my mind that someone screwed up sanding a curve in the body. (switched front and back while sanding)

Don't see the point of talking about better upper fret access while you still use that rather old fasion body/neck connection. For better upper fret access you would have gotten a bigger bang for the buck to adjust a few things in that area (read: AANJ)

Not saying, shouldn't, couldn't be done. Just strange reasoning. Just my $0.02.

I had a thought today of routing the pickup cavity the whole way thru the body so that the screw tops and pickup top are all that you see from the front. There would be a hole from front to back though and wondered if that would weaken the body too much to allow that to be an option. Waddaya think?