This Isn't A Joke..

i don't want to make fun,but you should read around here and learn something about craftsmanship if you eventually want to make a top notch guitar.maybe you don't ....in which case ignore me

but i really have to wonder if you researched before you started this project?i can't understand why you painted the neck before you have the truss rod and fretboard installed or why all the super large holes and extremely poor neck pocket fit

unless it is a clock for the wall i am not sure you will ever get any use out of that

this is not intended as a slam,but i am frankly bewildered

hi B)

i actually like your body designs.. they're a bit weird looking in design (which usually is something i like) and definetly original.

but then again.. i highly doubt it will work unless you use decent materials and have some skills at woodworking.

keep reading this forum (and maybe get the melvyn hiscock book about guitar making if you can find it. it's one of the best books i've ever read) to understand the basics. then practice. :D

Edited by samoht

Dude, you sound extremely keen to get this guitar together, and I applaud you for that, but you seriously need to take a step back and really look at the quality of the body.

You've jumped straight to colouring without finishing the body.

The edges are a mess, the curves are not curves, the surface is rough and you could dock the QE2 in your neck pocket.

You need to get the files and spokeshaves out aswell as the sand paper before you even contemplate finishing anything else.

I'm not saying all this to flame you or put you down because I think this could actually be a good guitar, you just need to slow it down and think what your doing and how cutting corners (Or not in your case!) will affect the final overall look of the guitar.

Let us know how you get on

Damo

Knoxville...

Don't take anything we said as degredation of who you are; these are just accurate (but not very diplomatic) observations on your first guitar project. It's pretty rough... but it can be salvaged.

And as some of us pointed out, our first projects were pretty rough, too.

I have a definite advantage over evrybody; I'm working on my first guitar project after 20+ years of woodworking experience. However, if we include ALL projects in this post, then I had some early projects that were too ugly to photograph.

The neck pocket is the biggest performance-related problem that I see, but that can be fixed, and the patchwork it will take to fix it can be covered up with better coats of paint.

Just hang around PG, ask questions, and take your time.

Or concede defeat and walk away from your dream.

Personally, I don't see the latter as a viable option, because I refuse to give up.

D~s

I want to thank you for all your comments.

The funny ones and the serious ones.

'Red Pilot' is actually my second atempt.

The 1st one 'ProtoBlue' is also visible on the site.

As the names say: 'ProtoBlue' is a prototype and 'Red Pilot' is a practice (to build) guitar.

It will be the 3rd which will have my fullest atention.

The 3rd and last one of my 'color-serie' will be named 'FinalGreen' (that name goes deep, huh? :D)

The goal is to make 'FinalGreen' able for gigs and stuff... durable, nice-looking and acurate constructed.

When finished 'Red Pilot' will be taken apart several times and put back together just for me to get familiar with the proces.

After that it'll make a great decoration in my studio, right next to 'ProtoBlue'.

Greetz Knoxville

(PS. there's no design of 'FinalGreen' yet, still working on that. I want it to be the most ridiculous, yet most awesome body design I could ever think of. I'll keep you informed B) )

Edited by Knoxville

knox, what kind of wood are you going to use for your "real" guitar? What scale is it going to be? What radius is your fretboard going to have?

By the way, that is a cool body concept. Take your time with the real thing and make it the best you can. I look forward to seeing your progress.

I say don't keep it up! You have to change a few work habits to continue. This is CONSTRUCTIVE critisism (damn, can't spell that word because I hardly use it) so don't feel bad, I won't kick you TOO hard.

Your main goal is to strive for perfection even if building a mockup. I don't care how old you are or where you come from, but some work habits have to be adhered to in getting things done properly. Learn some things about clamping down a straight edge as a guide when cutting a STRAIGHT line. Ever heard of sandpaper? Don't wipe your butt with it, but it does wonders when forming continuous curves and smooth surfaces. The finer the paper the smoother the surface.

Your guitar looks like its still in the "roughing in" stage and you painted it... uh uh, not good enuf. Go buy yourself some 80, 120, 180-220 and 320 grit and get those elbows pumping. It takes a lot of precision, patience and discipline to produce just a little quality work and that only happens with time and experience. Try saying "thats good enough" a little less and get in the habit of exercising your better judgement.

Edited by Southpa

I've sanded a lot on that thing, believe me.

Just have to do it more.

And yes I painted it, but because it'll get more layers.

So what if the paint get damaged now, I'd still have to paint it again :D

This way I allready can see a bit what it would look like.

Edited by Knoxville

I sanded this mahogany over a few afternoons after cutting out the body with a jigsaw.

Front1.jpg

You just need some rough 60 or 80 grit paper and get medievel on the guitar. For the edges draw pencil lines on the humped areas to form a continuous, smooth curve with the lowest areas. Use a foam pad with sandpaper wrapped around it and concentrate on making everything meet up that way. Sand the humps down to the pencil lines. As you sand check the edge with a carpenter's square (perfect 90 deg. angle) to make sure the sides are being sanded evenly. When you figure you are close to a natural curve begin sanding the entire edge to make it all even up.

When sanding flat surfaces its best to use a rigid block to keep things uniform. Keep an eye on what you are doing. Some things might not be evident just by visual inspection so keep a straight edge handy to identify the dips and humps. Just look for that happy medium between low and high :D . Always sand with the grain.

When it looks like all curves are smooth and your straightedge tells you that all the flat areas are flat and your square tells you that your sides are square...you can do it all over again with 180 grit!! :D And then again with 320!! B)

That is just for your basic flat, square guitar. You can continue by modifying the body eg. bevelling edges like an SG or making body curves (for your body) like a strat style. Just make sure you know how much wood needs to be removed and from where.

Edited by Southpa