My Prs Project... Almost Done

What's that nice finish on there?

Well.....sadly that finish is gone because I accidently smacked it with a hammer :D I was putting one of the post anchors in and damn it if I didn't miss and wack the friggin guitar. I felt like crying, laughing and an extreme anger all at the same time.

I tried to clean the area up (about the size of a nickel) and dye it but when I got done building the clear coats up on that spot and sanding it flush the color just didn't match. I tried that twice and then just said "screw it" and started stripping the whole top. I'm sort of glad it happened now actually for two reasons. 1) It wasn't exactly the color I wanted (too dark) and 2) I found that when I was removing the paint I could literally just chip and peel it off very easily. It seems that the lacquer didn't adhere very well to the sanding sealer I had sprayed on (scuff sanded with 400 gr. too).

Anyway so I just cleanly cut around the edges with an exacto knife and peeled the whole top paint off and sanded all the sanding sealer off as well as most of the dye. I've since re-dyed it a much nicer red and put a couple of clear coats on it just to seal it up. I'll probably start doing the clear coats again on Monday since the Super Bowl is tomorrow.....

I'll post some new pics up in a bit.........

Oh, BTW angry_jeremy; the finish was just a mixture of cardinal red and black aniline dyes, some sanding sealer (which I personally don't recommend anymore) and a crap load of Duplicolor Clear. I did spray a touch of Duplicolor Metalcast (Red) to give it a little bit of a redder hue since it looked sort of brownish first. I did that somewhere in the very early stages of clear coats............

Pleeeaaase put the post anchors in BEFORE you finish it this time!!!

LOL, yeah... I DID :D

Here's a 3 in one pic....

1)Stripped and sanded back

2)Re-dyed with cardinal red

3)A little metal cast and a couple of coats of lacquer to seal it up

3shots2.jpg

BTW, in that last shot the post anchors have little tape dots over them... (no, they didn't disappear B)

Edited by Gigabyte

Watching paint dry sucks so I played a little dress up just to see what it's going to look like. Nothing is bolted down or anything, I just sat things down in place...

http://photobucket.com/albums/v466/shadowninja_x/PRS2/

In the first pic I photoshop'd some strings on it :D

3 more weeks and then I can polish her up.... (tick-tock-tick-tock....)

I'm planning on doing a 5 string fretless bass based off a an Elroi (Brazilian) bass I saw to keep me busy....

Edited by Gigabyte

Looking out very nice Gygabyte! Ijust finish with the last coat of clear, so I'll show you in a week. How hard is that flame maple? mine is very soft, enough to dent with the figer nail. I think I will make another later in the year with flame. can't wait but ran out of cash if not I would be cutting the shape now.

The maple is pretty darn hard. Hell, I smacked it with a hammer and all that did was put a tiny little ding in it about the shape and size of a small finger nail. I took that out very easily with a damp cloth and a clothes iron. The hardness of it is probably why the figuring is sort of faint. It's probably a trade off, softer maple= better figuring (like yours)...

I feel you on the money issue. I'm probably going to throw the left over GAX body from this project as well as the RG body from the first project on ebay here in a couple of days to get the cash for my next project.........

Can't wait to see how that blue looks with some clear over!!!

Edited by Gigabyte

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...