Something Different, Something Cool

The glow is a powder from House of Kolor, it's damned expensive though, you mix it in with clear Urethane and spray it over a Shimrin white base coat (also from House of Kolor) You can't airbrush it though, you need a large spray gun (1.2mm tip is the smallest I'd recommend) then you mask off the parts you still want to have glow and paint the rest :D

id reccomend you dont use tape. If you go to a good artist/draughtsmans supply shop and get a roll of masking film. Every time I've used masking tape, you always end up with some bleed through when you have gone round curved edges and stuff. When you use the film you just draw out your design on a bit of paper the same size as your guitar, then place the film over the top. its see-through like OHP sheets, you cut out the design's outline with a knife, then you place the film on the guitar. As it is self adhesive you get perfect edges every time. Its much thinner than masking tape as well, so you dont get such high peaks at the edges of your finished design. B):D

Well, I somewhat disagree with you demon, if you use the 3M blue masking tape (the vinyl stuff) it will never bleed assuming you are laying it down correctly. When using Urethanes such as these you have to be VERY careful about what type of frisket you use as most are not compatible with urethanes, particularly if you are buying from an art store as they generally deal in oils and water based paints. For most masking applications where it will be an intricate design I will use a transfer tape, it's an adhesive backed paper that you apply first, draw your design on, and peel out the rest. For flames I usually use 3M 1/8" masking tape, lay out the flame, then put the transfer tape over that and cut it midway on the tape, then remove the excess.

So if in order to spray it prop you need to use the gun with 1.2 tip, how did you achieved the shadowing on the flames, you did the baby blue, then did the glow clear and over that you sprayed the black shadowing? I was under the impresion that you had sprayed the glow paint with air brush, I think I'm right can you explain?

BTW, nice to see you working on somenthing different than an Ibanez :D