Progress Of My Jem Style Guitar

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol, thanks Maestro, it does sound pretty stupid now that i get thinkin about it :D

anyways, heres some progress pics

JemProgress2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/cur...JemProgress.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/cur...emProgress1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/cur...emProgress3.jpg

Thanks

Curtis

well, i have made the conclusion that i have no scrap wood at home to make these templates, so i have to wait until work and rob some scrap to use for the router

Also, what kinda bit should i be using? bearing bit? or a regular bit and just have fences??, which ones it easiest to do?? last one i did fencese, but since i have access to a bearing bit, then maybe i should use it??

Curtis

Your bridge is *very* close to the bridge pickup - I'd shift the pickup futher away, or you'll get a very bright, not very loud bridge pickup.

I'd also recommend that you route the neck pocket before you get to far with the marking or routing the pickups or bridge. A tiny error in the neck pocket can easily be fixed my shifting the bridge and pickups to one side a little, but it's impossible to fix if you've routed them first!

Finally, what does the straight line inside your bridge marking represent? If it's the scale length, you need to shift the bridge back - as it is marked out now your high e string will be shorter than the uncompensated scale length, so it'll never intonate. Of course, if that line isn't the scale length mark, ingonre that part!

Setch

Those pickup lines are guidlines, i plan on routing the neck pocket first, but the pups are just drew on there for guidelines

When you say that my bridge will have to be moved back, hod you far do you mean?? should the saddle be in line with the line?? That line is my 25.5 scale length

I will move the bridge pickup up towards the neck a bit more, thants for the tip :D

Curtis

Edit, i am using a regular number 2 pencil, but since i cant see them that well on the wood, i have to make them a bit darker (i am colour defficeint, and light pencil on wood just dont pop out to me, lol)

Thanks for the comments, really makes me feel good inside B)

Curtis

Hey, i need a suggestion on the bridge pickup placement, i want good attack because for the style of music i play, but i also want a decent clean, i am thinking about 1/4 to 1/2 inch towards neck of where i am now??

Curtis

what really scares me is the knot on the backside as shown HERE (look to the right about 4 - 5 inches)

it doesnt go all the way through the body, and i dont want to fill it will wood fill, is it possible to bore it out and add in bass? or should i just mix in sawdust and glue and smear it in there???

Curtis

P.S, what do you think bout my mock up cavity covers? good bad, otherwise??

Curtis

Hey Bowser!! :D

Thanks for the link, but i aint into that fancy stuff, its really nice, but its on the back of the guitar, so, i think i will try my luck with sawdust and glue.

by the way, heres a new picture of the back, i made a new cavity cover mock up

NewProgress2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/cur...ewProgress3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/cur...ewProgress1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/cur...NewProgress.jpg

Let me know what you think

Curtis

Today, I got the ferrules marked (only using front ferrules) and i will be routing tonight if i can gather some scraps!!!

if i get the neck pocket routed tonight then i am also going to do the pickups and recess the bridge and the control cavity will possibly get routed.

Tommorow, i dont have to work, so i am working on my truck (its almost done too) and after i get some work on my truck done, i am going to go to the shop (my work) and laminate the fingerboard onto the neck, and also get the headstock cut out, i might get the profile started as well.

No pictures yet, camera is dead, LOL

Curtis

• 3 weeks later...

well, i aint gettin as much progress as i would like, its too cold in the shop, and i dont have a bearing bit yet, i got templates made, but not router bit to route it with!!!

I am thinking of doing the truss rod a la Perry style (Randy Rhoads V copy, truss rod adjusted through neck pickup)

This will be a pain in the rectal area, but i dont want to have a cover on my beauty headstock :D

Curtis

Today, I got the ferrules marked (only using front ferrules) and i will be routing tonight if i can gather some scraps!!!

Curtis

How will you keep the top ferrules from pulling out? The reason for using back ferrules is to hold the strings in, they need to seat against the body, top ferrules are there so the strings don't cut into the wood. You'll still need holes all the way through the body to put strings in, I would put in rear ferrules too.

As long as you are using the rear ferrules you won't have any problem with the top ones, just pressing them in is all you'll need. It was just when I thought you were ONLY using top ones that I was concerned. There won't be any real pulling tension on the top ones when the rear ones are used as all the "through body" load is on the rear ones. Just make sure the holes are drilled deep enough but not to deep, so the ferrules in the back can seat in the holes properly.

• 2 weeks later...

ok, i cant seem to get much progress done, between school, work, and homework, leaves me about an hour or 2 of free time, and i dont tihnk thats a prime time to go outside and do some routering when i am half asleep :D

any suggestions of what i can/should do between the routing? i got the body sanded down to 220, i gotta still work on the grip a bit, but not sure how i should tackle that, whether with a file? sand paper and a dowel??

give me about 10 minutes and i will get some updated pictures, showing me neck off a bit, thats not close to being done yet, lol

Curtis