Progress Of My Jem Style Guitar

Ok, since I am making progress fairly quickly, I might as well start a thread for it.

Here goes

Body blank-done, just has to be cut out, sanded, you know

Neck blank- picked up the maple today, laminating it tommorow, rough cut to length tonight

Hardware- All here

Final Goal- A Jem style guitar with a TOM bridge, no pickgaurd (back routed) possibly swirl finish (if i get enough stone to do it) or just a gloss black finish, maple neck with Seymour Duncan 59's PUPS, one volume, one tone, custom headstock in a 3x3 machine head pattern

Any opinions that might make it better? If i swirl it, it will be black and red

Curtis

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds cool I cant wait to see some pics!!

!!METAL MATT!! :D

vladdrac

Some of the Jems did have swirls, check out Steve Vai's "Green Meanie", it is black and green swirl

Got some more progress tonight, Laminated the neck, its drying in my furnace room with about 20 clamps on it, and zip ties in between some of the clamps

Tommorow, I will be jointing the edges of the neck so that they are square, then I will be setting up my router jig for my truss rod

Tommorow night, if everything goes right, I should have the truss rod routed, then I do the headstock (bout a 7 degree angle back) and get it all cut out and such

Once I get more info on the fingerboard I am ordering, I can begin the taper, and once the fingerboard gets glued on, I will profile the neck (bout a wizard, wizard 2 thickness)

The body, i desided that it should stay in the heated shop at work for bout a week or so, just to get the wood used to the humidity and such, so if its going to warp anymore or not, i can always take the warp out before i cut it out and get it all done and it decided to warp 1/16 or 1/8 of an inch :D

enough rambaling, I am going to get my info on my fingerboard, or at least try too

Curtis

P.S. Pics wont be for a while now, since I kinda dumped my girlfriend (different one from the thread mentioned, she was gone a while ago) and she was my access to digital camera, i dont think she will let me borrow it to take some pics, so I am going to try and borrow my other friends camera

Curtis

Ok LGM, I was positive it was a Jem, ok, my mistake

Pics, well, i will be asking my friend tommorow if i can borrow his camera for the weekend, by then I should have the neck mostly complete, and the body pretty much cut out, hopefully

Curtis

• 2 weeks later...

OK

Got ALOT done tonight

I laminated the boards the other night

Tonight, took them out of the clamps, stuck them back on the planer and took off 1/16 on each side (it was just a hair over 1 and 3/4 of an inch for sanding)

Then, i put it on his sand planer (it looks and acts like a planer, but instead of a cutterhead, its a drum sander)

I traced my template onto it

Went to the bandsaw, cut it out, i did a couple of test ones first, been a while since i used a bandsaw, lol

After i cut it out, i took it over to his combination belt/disc sander and sanded the edges (except for by the neck joint and the curves in the middle)

Then, I took it over to his ocilating spindle sander and did the cut aways, the curves in the middle and just once over it again to take out any ridges the disc sander might have left (and it did, lol)

Tommorow, since i got a study period for bout 2 hours (no afternoon classes) soooooooooooo, I am taking in the body, and sand paper, and hand sanding the entire body, especially the edges,

Tommorow night I will be doing the monkey grip, and the tummy cut after that, then the arm rest.

Saturday, after work, I think i will start marking out pickup routes and get them routed, and route the control cavity

I am going to try and get a digital camera borrowed for the weekend

Curtis

• 4 weeks later...