Non-aanj Neck To Aanj?

hey guys, i'd like some advice on a project i'm considering undertaking.

to cut a long story short, i have a 7 string ibanez RG with an AANJ neck, but the neck is byond repair as its last owner broke the neck clean into at the headstock and the crack went a further 15 or so centimetres down the neck.

i have the old neck, all of the pieces - the actual neck joint area, and the fingerboard are intact (anyone want a 7 string rosewood fingerboard, off an MIJ axe? - it is totally undamaged due to the nature of the impact).

anyway, finding an AANJ 7 string ibanez neck is impossible, so i'm thinking of buying a pre-AANJ UV neck (i have one eyed up currently on ebay). i would then convert it by cutting out some of the broken neck's AANJ neck joint area, gluing it onto the UV neck and then probably sinking it two bolts in parallel with the truss rod to strengthen it....

would that work?

cheers,

Roman

My bad for not understanding your post ( :D ) but by what I understand the only thing you need to do is get the one that is not shped for the AANJ and shape it!!! There is no need for cutting nothing unless ibanez changed the shape at the bottom of the neck, the part that goes right against the humbucher! I have changed the shape of my last two modifications and the only problem I have encounter is aesthetic because the top right hole on the neck joint from where the previous screw was on is visible, you can minimize this by using wood putty the same color as the neck and filling the end with some CA and dust from the neck, I used acrylic resin last time, you can see it but it's sealed. The other thing is making your own, since you already have the thruss rod, fingerboard and everything else! plus a model to guide yourself from! Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

it comes from a non-tremolo ibanez, so the fretboard ends right before the nut, meaning it could be used for anything.

i'll happily throw in a truss rod from the old neck too (the fretboard IS fretted).

price? PM me with what you consider a fair price, and we'll most likely settle on something. just so you know, i live in UK, so you'd have to pay for shipping etc.

Maiden, let me show you two pictures to show what i mean.

this non-AANJ neck.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...ssPageName=WDVW

this is an AANJ neck

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...3758485572&rd=1

so....?

finding an AANJ 7 string ibanez neck is impossible

I see Ibanez AANJ 7 string neck popping up on ebay, so once in a while.

I know there are some pics on the net from some Italian company whom have done couple of non-AANJ to AANJ. They changed body and neck. It looked rather good.

Have to dig up URL.

i havent a 7 string aanj for months now..

litchfield, wonna try fixing this? :D

http://fullservesite.com/streamline/DSCF0001.JPG

http://fullservesite.com/streamline/DSCF0002.JPG

i dont have the missing one piece of wood (i bought it after the break) and the crack goes down along the neck for a further 3-4".

finding an AANJ 7 string ibanez neck is impossible

I see Ibanez AANJ 7 string neck popping up on ebay, so once in a while.

I know there are some pics on the net from some Italian company whom have done couple of non-AANJ to AANJ. They changed body and neck. It looked rather good.

Have to dig up URL.

i'd really really appreciate that.

other than that, do you guys have any ideas / suggestions regarding my idea, with gluing part of the old joint and then using bolts to strengthen it?

:D

Roman

Sometimes re-finding something is pain in the butt.........but google never fails me.

http://jemsiteforum.com/discus/messages/34....html?957822361

Direct Link:

Giniski Liuteria Moderna

(you gotta love that Italian. ;-)

Goto Custom and check out Custom 2. You see Giniski mod vs. Original Ibz.

My advice to you is not going this route. Why not buy a proper AANJ 7 replacement neck (they pop up on ebay so once in a while), instead of doing this standard 7 conversion.......it's not worth the trouble.......

Have you checked your Ibanez importer if they can order a replacement neck. In Holland that;s possible. Only costs E250-E275.

You can always build one.

Edited by RGGR

Sometimes re-finding something is pain in the butt.........but google never fails me.

http://jemsiteforum.com/discus/messages/34....html?957822361

Direct Link:

Giniski Liuteria Moderna

(you gotta love that Italian. ;-)

Goto Custom and check out Custom 2. You see Giniski mod vs. Original Ibz.

My advice to you is not going this route. Why not buy a proper AANJ 7 replacement neck (they pop up on ebay so once in a while), instead of doing this standard 7 conversion.......it's not worth the trouble.......

Have you checked your Ibanez importer if they can order a replacement neck. In Holland that;s possible. Only costs E250-E275.

You can always build one.

well, UK ibanez distributors are pretty awful to deal with. not only do you get to wait for months, but also they charge extortionate rates.

the UV neck would be cheaper.... and man, i HAVE been looking on ebay for them for about 3 months now, this is the THIRD seven string ibanez neck i've seen in all that time. i'm not gonna wait much more..... besides, IMO the UV necks just look so sweet and i'm gonna get green pickups and knobs to match.

TBH it doesnt look too bad, i've had much worse (routing out a floyd cavity with a hammer and a chizel, anyone?)

as far as building one, i'm not committed enough. i realised though i have a fascination to mod guitars to crazy extents, it always just ends up to be to improve the playing experience... i am not a builder by nature...

i'm kinda surprised by the general response so far, to me it seems like a fairly small project... or maybe i've just attached myself too much to the idea of having a UV neck.... either way, i'll be sure to consider your suggestions, but at the moment i'm pretty much set on that UV neck. i'll post more whenever i have something new to ask / to show.