My Guitar, As Shameful As It Is.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

blimey fiend! where did you get a router bit big enough? i could only find a chamfer bit that was 16mm.

secondly, the only way i could do it WAS with a chamfer bit, which needs a flat surface to ride against, so when i flip over to the other side, there would be nothing for it to ride against. so even if i did find a bit big enougfh, my hopes of getting that crisp sharp edge were impossible. the only way would have been to do it by eye.

i dunno about yours but my routers a beast and it cuts wherever the hell it likes!

next time im going to hand carve the edges and just spend weeks sanding it sharp.

update on my geetar, must have been the shame of showing piece of pine infront of everyone elses fantastic designs, because i actually got off my arse and did some work on it today.

was really nervous id muck it up, but i grabbed the jigsaw, did the nasty, then tidied up the edges with my router.

http://deadmike.faithweb.com/mikes_guitar_page.htm

still loads to do though!

Wow that dose look alot beter with the smaller assend you did some good work

on that thing sofar in fact it's given me a cool idea for one of the

flying-V/Explorer guitars that iam working on!! I will post some pics when it's done

!!METAL MATT!! :D

cheers guys, i dont want to get all touchy feely on ya, but your comments are really goiving me the confidence to keep this project going!

fiend: i think the wings/horns on doyles guitar are a lot straighter than mine, but i like my design so far.

Well I cut out the top of my new guitar and I love it it's too bad I did not

use beter looking wood for the top I used purpleheart for the top and a bubinga back don't get me wrong I like the purpleheart but it's not as extreme as I would like any way thanks for the inspiration!! :D it's not the same shape as yours but the shape did inspire a few of my ideas I will post some pics as soon as my video card is working right.

Thanks

!!METAL MATT!! B)

untitledneedsomehelp.jpg

Hay mike I don't mean to be a pain in the ass but I marked off some part's of your guitar that still need some work rember I just trying to help B)

yeah theres still work to be done...

is the bottom line for the neck slot?

as for the top spikes... ive been avoiding them to a certain degree. they look pretty good but dont hold up to close inspection. i guess im scared of my router, its a beast and easily rips of little spikey bits like that. i managed to keep it under control when i re-routered the ass, but theres very little wood for the router to ride on so it makes it hard to pull across those spikes.

my hands are up, you got me. i'll start work on it first thing monday (promise).

as for the top spikes... ive been avoiding them to a certain degree. they look pretty good but dont hold up to close inspection. i guess im scared of my router, its a beast and easily rips of little spikey bits like that. i managed to keep it under control when i re-routered the ass, but theres very little wood for the router to ride on so it makes it hard to pull across those spikes.

Well If I where you I would not use a router to finish the spikes I would use a belt sander OR a [os-a-late-ing sander ] wow not sure if that's spelled right :D and the botom line is for the neck slot make sure that you leave some meat for the neck and maybe fix it up a bit that's all that line is for so good luck :D

!!METAL MATT!! B)

looks good in that photo fiend!

your overall shape is slightly different to mine and id say excentuated more.

the circles under the wings are larger and it makes the wings look like something from a battle axe!

cant wait to see more pics!!!!!

very minor update.

been reallly busy, but as promised did some work on it. mostly been scratching my skull thinking how low to set the neck and scale lengths blah blah...

theres some crazy ideas in there so feel free to say "NO!! DONT DO THAT YOU PLONKER!!"

http://deadmike.faithweb.com/page_3.htm

Hey, about what you said about the bridge being too low, it's not. The Gibson guitar's actually have their necks angle back to compensate for the height, while zero angle on the neck is necessary with that bridge.

Hey man Look'en good sofar!! you could do some cool MOD'S to that headstock It wont be the same as doyles but it will look deadly, if you want I could try a few design's for you and if you like them feal free to use them and that bridge should work fine it realy goes with that guitar I cant waits to see this thing done!!

thanks guys. matt id love to see your suggestions for the headstock. i take it you can get a fairly rough idea of what its like or a proper scale drawing of a encore headstock?

cant remember if i said before. but i was just going to cut it symetrical so it looked like a straight version of doyles. easy to do... i hope...

glad about the bridge, i hadnt encountered one like that before and i had an incling about the zero angle. seems the simplest way to put a guitar together, must read up on it more though!