Bocaster!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Idch, got a question for you: Was your Johnson Tele neck-heavy in its original state? I hve one of those which I outfitted with red rock tele pups and did some setup work for it and it's a fine guitar for the price but it bothers me that it's so neck-heavy compared to all my strats. I'm not so sure if I shall give it a complete rework or just sell it on the bay...

so long

ace

how about square out the curves (or i guess rectangular out the curves) so that you have square corners to fill instead of round curves, and then cut a square insert or box shaped insert to fit in. Cut the insert just slightly too large so that you have to force it in, and you'll have a good fit, with maybe only some slight filling to do.

And that's when I realized how tough this is going to be --getting the insert part to fit the curve exactly will be near impossible for me. Especially since the curves themselves aren't very exact!

So I need tips on this...

If you don't have a jigsaw or a band saw you may want to try a coping saw. The blades are light enough to make most any curve and you can pick one up for $5 or so at any hardware store.

The other option is MKG's idea.....cut a square and put in a block but you will still have to get a saw in there to cut the inside of the square. Again a coping saw would help here. Drill a pilot hole, take one end of the blade off and put it through the hole, hook it back up to the saw frame and cut away.

Looking great so far! Keep us posted...... :D

why don't you just cut out the whole sides and make it a 3 peice body? That would be the easiest, especially if its an opaque finish. And if you are planning on just making a peice to fit in the curve you won't need to mix the epoxy with sawdust since you are doing an opaque finish. The purpose of mixing it is to match color.

EASIER?

***, are you smoking dude? Personaly, cutting a v or block is waaay easier. You dont have to run the body thru the band saw, twice, then clamp the whole thing and glue. Its, IMO, easier to make the v or block(whatever he decides), mix the epoxy and get it to fit as close as possible. I would do the V or block, sup to you man...

easier to make the v or block(whatever he decides), mix the epoxy and get it to fit as close as possible. I would do the V or block, sup to you man...

Hey Algee

I'm playing around with glue right now, using some old wood I have lying around...I want to see how strong it gets --if it can survived being tossed across the room, then I'll use the same technique for the guitar! :D

I think it should be pretty strong. If everyone including me is wrong tho, your going to end up with a chunk of gee-tar missing! B):D

Edited by AlGeeEater

Here's an update...Wednesday I'll be taking the body to one of my wife's uncles, he's got a big workshop (not the drummer, another uncle...they all live in this little hamlet here and the table saws are at his place these days)...he's got lots of tools, including a ribbon saw, band saw etc....

That way we'll be able to straighten all my cuts and get those inserts sorted out...with any luck, it'll all be glued an ready for sanding by Friday...!!!

Time to start hunting for paint then...; :D

How many wives do you have? B)