Cud's Project Guitar

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll have pics up on the site later tonight but yesterday I did my fret-levelling/dressing and I'm thrilled with what I see so far.

The steps I followed were the following:

1) Taped off the entire fretboard leaving the frets exposed.

2) Marked the entired length of each fret with a black Sharpee.

3) Took a 12" Mill file and levelled the frets going across the frets. I "knew" I was done when I had a flat on each fret, in approximately similar withs and when I couldn't feel any little "bumps" in the file as it crossed from fret to fret. I won't know until it's strung if I'm right or not though.

4) I took the following grits (120, 220, 320, 400) and attached them to my radius block and sanded across the frets.

5) I followed that up with a crowning file I got from Stew Mac. This means that I'm now filing along the frets extrusion. The file has a 150 and 300 grit surface. I did both of course. At this point I counted strokes and more or less kept them the same depending on what I saw.

6) Then I rounded the fret ends with a small file.

7) Cut up some small pieces of 600 grit paper and sanded along the frets making sure to hit the filed ends so they'd round a bit.

8) Put a one inch cloth wheel on my Dremel and buffed the frets with a red polishing compound from Dremel.

9) Put a clean cloth wheel on the Dremel and polished with some Flitz.

10) Buffed with a new 1/2" buffing wheel on the Dremel.

11) Wiped down the frets with a paper towel, removed the tape from the neck, stood back and went, "Wow".

I followed up by sanding my entire neck with 600, then 1200 and applied to wet coats of Tru-Oil. Waited 5 minutes, rubbed it in/off. Let it dry over nigh. Tonight, I'll wax the entire thing. Right now, the neck is soooo silky smooth. Like my Ernie Ball Petrucci.

I'll post pics tonight.

Thanks.

Dave

So here's a pic of the levelled and polished frets.  I've added a "Fret Level & Polish" page to the site.

http://www.downinfrontht.com

fret_level_polishing5.JPG

Whoa! Nothing like big shiny frets, Try this next time it doesn't take as long :File,

400 along board

600 along board

1200 along board

then put some 1200 on a block and go across the board this means that any scratches will be left going across the frets making it easer to take them out using 0000 steel wool Then do your polishing with the dremel. Also after recrowning u may notice some little marks on the side of the frets i use a little beech block with a Fret crown shape made in to it using a little 1/16 round file in which i rap 1200 round and go across the frets.

Awesome work all round , beauty!

Whoa! Nothing like big shiny frets, Try this next time it doesn't take as long :File,

400 along board

600 along board

1200 along board

then put some 1200 on a block and go across the board this means that any scratches will be left going across the frets making it easer to take them out using 0000 steel wool Then do your polishing with the dremel. Also after recrowning u may notice some little marks on the side of the frets i use a little beech block with a Fret crown shape made in to it using a little 1/16 round file in which i rap 1200 round and go across the frets.

Awesome work all round , beauty!

Thanks for the tips Graham!

Guest AlexVDL

Why so much work.... this is how I do it and it's fast and nothing less good than other ways:

Level frets with a long square or radiussed block with sandpaper 180 (I prefer a block longer then the fretboard itself, so when you go back and foreward you touch the frets at all time. I prefer going one way only, not back and forth because it will take off to much in the middle).

After that I use the crowning file for rounding the frets and rounding the ends (when rounding the fret ends make sure you don't tough the wood because it can make ugly scratches).

After that I use 400 sandpaper followed by 600 and finish it with steel wool (no need for 1200 if you're using steel wool. When using 600 the paper will get full of filings... continue using the same piece of paper because that will polish your fret just like using i.e. 1200).

Next I use a polishing paste and after that they're as shiny as in Cud's pics. One whole fretboard takes me about 1 hour including masking off the fretboard :D

Cud, your site is amazing! Everything so clean! You should start selling those thick ply templates, awesome. i plan to transfer the my stew mac plexi guys to thick ply. You should sort out the Nav on the categories showing neck, body, finishing ,hardware and electronics make it a little easier to follow the start to the end. I will refer to your work like the bible (although i've never read the bible lol) when i make my first guitar.

Thanks for the kind words Graham. I agree. I need to enhance the site so you can get to things in a more cohesive manner. Maybe when the guitar is done.

Yesterday, I finished the neck. I buffed the 2nd coat of Tru-Oil with 0000 steel wool and then gave it two coats of wax. I learned that even on a raw neck, one coat of Tru-Oil is enough. Not much of the 2nd application penetrated.

Now, it's silky and satiny. Tonight, I'll put the tuners on and take a pic.

Dave

Man I love What you did with the back of the headstock It look's so tight and clean

Great work Man!! And The Tuning peg's Set the whole thing off B)

Man Was I ever off When I said I did not like that headstock :D

!!METAL MATT!! :D

You guys are great for my ego!

I built my knock-down spray barrier on Sunday. I didn't get the chance to actually spray though. I need another hose and connectors so I can hook up my moisture trap and compressor.

I think this Saturday will be the day for the first coats of nitro.

Dave