Cud's Project Guitar

I know is fine, but look at mine with a black stain and look at yours, it needs to penetrate nice and even so that when you sand back and wipe the next color, it stays in the grain, if it is weak, it won't bring that 3d look too much, and you run the chance or not sanding too much because you will remove it, then when you stain the colr you run the chance of wiping the black out or making it look too weak.

Now this IMO, so what ever suits you best.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey cud I was just looking at your website in the places where you test fit your trem and I can't help but notice that it doesn't look like the strings will go over the pole peices of the pickups. Are you sure you got everything centred? Might be something to check out before It's -too- late.

It's this pic. It doesn't look like the trem is centred on the pickup.

Edited by Godin SD

I appreciate your opinion Godin. I apologize for being so dense. Granted the lines I've drawn are not perfect but they are close and seem OK to me. But since you've brought it up, I'm curious to see what other people might think. You guys have been at this longer than me and would know better. :D

wilkinson_test_fit99.jpg

your stuff looks pretty-well centered to me. even if it is off a little bit, pickups will still pick up string vibration from an area that is wider than the actual pole pieces. i've only ever noticed a difference in sound if the string was not overtop of any portion of the pole. even in that case, the pickup still worked fine, but there was a tonal difference between down-picked notes and up-picked, since one was moving the string closer to the pole and the other father away.

the magnetic field also extends longer than the actual poles. the idea that a pickup would pick up no sound at the 24th fret node is untrue because the magnetic field is so much longer than the tiny length of the node.

That's a tough choice. Both colors would look really good.

How about a blue-orange burst? :D Just kidding!

I'm leaning towards the turquoise blue. But if Godin says orange... he's the man ever since I saw that buh buh bubinga guitar.

Cud, the wood work on your guitar looks so good, anything will look great (except paint!). :D

My first choice ever was orange. Why? Because it's going to look so good against the fretboard. Plus, the mahogany back will look great with that stain.

Then I saw someone post two tele projects where one was a yellow and one was a blue. The blue he used was the turquoise and I loved it.

I'm thinking of doing orange for this one because it was my gut instinct and then the turquoise for my explorer.

And thanks for the encouragement everyone.

But if Godin says orange... he's the man ever since I saw that buh buh bubinga guitar.

LoL. I can't believe anyone thought that guitar was cool. In about a week I will make a new neck for it (the fret job on the old one SUCKED). And I will re finish it and make darn sure to fill the grain until I have a nice smoooooth finish. THAN it will be a force to be reconed with :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hey man. I did a coat of black dye, sanded back, then a coat of turquoise and sanded back, then I diluted the turquoise dye by 50% and wiped on the the final color coat. I hope to grain fill and maybe start the Sanding Sealer coats this weekend. I've added a "Finish Stage" page on my site. Here's a pic of the body as it looks now.

body_color_coat.JPG

The I need to level my frets and then oil and wax the neck. But I need to do a decal logo first.

Here's my fretboard as it looks now. There are more pics on the "Slotting the Fretboard" page.

frets_beveled2.JPG

frets_beveled.JPG

Great looking turquoise. Its nice to see some good photos too. I hate fuzzy low-res shots. That light across the fretboard makes it look even more awesome. It reminds of something an artist friend of mine was saying about pedistals.

If you take a sculpture and stick it on a table, then its a sculpture on a table. But if you place that same sculpture in a museum on a pedistal it becomes a work of art. Makes you question how much the surroundings and situational details afect a person's perception of beauty. The pedistal (and its affect on the presentation) is as much a part of the artwork as the sculpture itself. Too true, is that a well taken photgraph of an excellent piece makes our impression of the artist and his/her art that much higher. Know what i mean?

Anyway, nice work man. Can't wait to see it SHINE!

It looks great, I just went to your site to look up, and you should have posted the pic that the stain was still wet, that will be as close to the finished paint as you can get.

I would have left the mahogany natural with the black wash coat only, it looked amazing, I love the color of mahogany with the black accentuated grain.

Like this.