tune-o-matic recessed

so, i want to build a nearly les paul double cutaway with a tune-o-matic and a string throug body (if i finally manage to get those so-called eyelets here)

i want to make no neck angle cos i find it to difficult for me to attempt as a first project(btw it will be a glued neck).

now, the tune-o-matic height´s significant and i don´t think only by lowering it to the bottom is enough to void the need of angle, thus i worked out with a great effort of my ... :D whatever... that fitting the bridge in a recess in the body might be a solution.

is this totally stupid??

Aria used to get around this by using a hardtail strat bridge - model number was YC something from early 80s - which worked very well, but I'm certain that a recessed t-o-m would look cool as well as maintain the look you're after.

What about the tailpiece, or would you use a wraparound? If the latter, the recess may may string changing a bore. You need to use the bridge with the screw adjustment for height too, presumably?

:D

great. so it´s been done before huh?? it reminds me of a song. it´s not that i wanted to invent somthg, but it stills sounds weird to me to lower a tune-o-matic.

however, if the bridge goes lower, the angle that the strings form on top of it will be greater, will this affect somehow badly the sound.

westheman, do u have any pics you could post or send me, they would be really helpfull

and tanx for you time boys, :D

usually you only have to recess the bridge itsef.the tailpiece is made low enough to begin with.just recess the bridge and check the tailpiece before recessing it.it just needs to be a little lower so that the strings will have pressure against the saddles.

O.K. This might be a stupid sugestion...but bear with me

If the bridge height is a slight problem, couldn't you take the bottom of the bridge to a grinder & take some meat off?

I am looking at my Ibanez tune-o-matic & it looks like there is MORE than enough mass to take it down

I think the only issue is that you would have to make sure the bridge is completely level after grinding

Is this stupid? Or did I just solve the problem???

Dave K

i had to recess 3/16" on mine.i think that's too much to grind.i think you would break into the saddle pockets before you got enough off.plus the heat from the grinding might make the bridge brittle.it's not a big deal to recess it.took me less than 5 minutes and that was taking my time.