Prevent Glue From Blocking Up The Wiring Channels

Hi guys,

I've just finish routing out the wiring channels in my tele (ash back, maple top).

My question is how do I prevent glue getting into the channels when I attach the maple top? I thought about masking over them with masking tape prior to glueing but there must be a better way than this.

Things are going well with the project, when I sort out a host site for my photos I'll post piccies in the "in progress" part of the forum.

Genbloke

Taping the channel with any kind of tape will do it... but!.. i would advice to attach some foil or paper under the tape if the channels are too tight. Because the wires can stick to the tape when you're trying to wire your guitar. It can be a problem when you have to pass the wires thru the tight channels especially if your tape is strongly sticky.

When I was gluing my maple top to my Les Paul guitar, I had already routed out the control cavities so I placed a wet cloth inside the channels.. After 5 minutes I clamped the top, I pulled the wet cloth off the channel. It brought all the glue out of the channel. But the channels I routed were a bit more complicated than a regular LP. They were not straight and I had routed separate channels for each pickups, etc... But Tele routing is very simple, short channels.. I'd go with a tape.

I may be missing something here, but I would do it like you do truss rod channels. Put tape on the maple top along the corresponding areas that you don't want to spill out into the channel. Next, apply and spread your glue. Then remove the tape. You'll have very little if any squeeze out if you spread the glue well, and use tape that's slightly larger than the cavity itself so that the slight amount of squeeze out just goes up to the edge, and not drip over the edge.

Somebody posted an idea here once... the thread was about lining the wiring channels so the wires would slide through smoothly... and somebody said "use drink straws."

That would also keep glue out of wiring channels.

D~s

I may misunderstand this but if your using a pickguard or cavity cover wouldn't you be able to route those channels out OR drill after you get top attached? Hence the blocking of the channels could be cleaned up after the glueing. And how would you get the controls in place if you don't open it up somehow?

Perry, this should clear things up:

25_chambersfinsihed.jpg

As for keeping the glue out, you're over thinking. I apply glue, then rub it around with my fingers, and I've never even considered keeping it out of the channel - I simply rub it up to the edge, and then glue the top on. It would take a lot of glue to block the channel, so any squeeze out that may get into the channel isn't worth worrying about.

PerryL, I'm not using a pickguard so my routing will be under the maple top.

My channels are quite narrow cos I've got piezo pickups going under the bridge and I've got the battery wires running between the bridge and the bridge pickup.

See photo below

127-2770_IMG.JPG

My thinking was to leave as much wood intact around the pickup and bridge area, have I gotten carried away with this?

The technique desribed by frank falbo sounds good.

I'm using titebond, how thick should I apply the glue?

Thanks

Genbloke