Project Kramer

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you should had told them not to drill for the neck holes, this is what I did for my 7 string.

I still have time. I have the order form filled out, i just need to fax it to them. I will write that. Thanks B) I also have the $ for a new body possibly :D

I cant wait to start painting...

Edited by AlGeeEater

• 2 months later...

Alright :D

What do i do when i have no school, its 70 degrees out and there NO HUMIDITY!!!

paint! haha

Well i have finally decided on what im going to paint this thing. Silverrrrr. I actually encountered a few problems today. I tested out primer then then the silver on a board, and it was TOO harsh for my eyes. So instead of primer i used black and then the silver, and i think it looks awesome. Pics soon!

Heres the pics:

DSC01107.jpg

DSC01106.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v460/AlG...er/DSC01109.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v460/AlG...er/DSC01108.jpg

I REALLY liked the way that the color is turning out. I never thought i could get a nice metallic paint from dupli-color.

Only bad thing is that the pics i took didnt really show off the metallic. Maybe when im done clearing it, it will.

Dude, it may be a camera thing but it looks like direct sun light is hitting the drying body!  That's gonna cause some ugly out comes if you don't get it out of the sun.....ask Maiden69!  :D

Lookin good!  B)

Uhh, how? i do it all the time and my finishes are just fine... :D

Dude, it may be a camera thing but it looks like direct sun light is hitting the drying body!  That's gonna cause some ugly out comes if you don't get it out of the sun.....ask Maiden69!   :D

Lookin good!   B)

Uhh, how? i do it all the time and my finishes are just fine... :D

Sounds like you've been lucky, the most common results are bubbles and boils in the finish.

Ah, its not in the sun at all. Its ultra reflective. Thats kinda why i like silver i guess. The sun actually rises on the left of my garage, and sets on the right hand. Its all behind it so sun never really gets in there, except around winter time.

The thing with Maiden69's was that he used Krylon which bubbled under the sun. I dont think dupli-color has that problem.

The silver is looking awesome now. 2 coats later its much deeper and reflects differently at different angles. I'll take pics tomr when i start the clearing proccess. I did one coat an hour staring around 9 am this morning and this will be my finaly color coat (its 6:00 PM here). Unfourtunatly, tomr is the last day of good weather here. Its supposed to be around 83 with no humidty, then after thursday drops to 50. I HATE spraying clear when its not warm outside, so im going to try to get as many coats down tomr.

Sounds like you've been lucky, the most common results are bubbles and boils in the finish.

Goreki, like AlGee said, I have done that plenty of times, with my bikes and the guitars, but the only paint that bubbled up was the Krylon triple thick glaze, I will never use that stuff again.

AlGee, thats kinda too many coats, becareful with that, that's what a few people had done here and the Dupli takes ages to dry.

AlGee, thats kinda too many coats, becareful with that, that's what a few people had done here and the Dupli takes ages to dry.

Actually, it passes the fingernail test :D

I think i have super curing powers or something. Its kinda amazing because its 9 coats in a day. I hope my clear cures as fast as the color :DB)

THe problem comes when you apply the clear, I don't know why, because on both my LP and the blue strat, the base dried the same day.  But I only do one or 2 coats of the base color, no sense in doing more than that.

Who knows, maybe i just got lucky. It hit almost 80 here with about 15% humidity. Maybe that was a factor? Hell, i dont care, as long as it is dry i guess. I will probaly only get 3 coats of clear in tomr. because of school.

The only reason i did so many was because i had a black undercoat, and with metallics you cant spray too wet. So i just did basically 9 dust coats. Around the 6 coat i could see all the black was covered, but i wanted to do 3 more just to give it more depth.

What problems with the clear?

Edited by AlGeeEater

Goreki, like AlGee said, I have done that plenty of times, with my bikes and the guitars, but the only paint that bubbled up was the Krylon triple thick glaze, I will never use that stuff again.

Oh...okay. :D

Algee, I realy don't know what is the thing with that clear, I'm very good at spray painting, and I have always used cans with no problem, but there is something about that Dupli, I painted 3 coats one day, the next I checked nice and hard, so I did a light color sanding, and thru the day added 3 more coats, and did the same for the next 2 days. Now the coats were triple pass, and not light by any means! In the last day, after I finished, I set the guitar inside and was planning on waiting a week to start color sanding, a week turned into a month, then 2 months. I'm pretty sure that it had to do with all the paint I laid on there, but, since I turned to DEFT, I have been able to do the same, and still colorsand and polish after 3-4 days.

I checked that auto air and the createx airbrush colors at the local hobby shop, and they have tons of different pearls and metallic dust to add to your colors and clears, that I think the only reason I will change paint type is if I get a compressor and gun set up for poly.

Hey

Crafty, thanks man, it means a lot to me :D

Maiden, im not going to be doing heavyy 3 pass coats liek re ranch with the clear. Im going to dust most of the coats and take my time. I really dont like to rush things. It will take me longer to build a good clear, so what! B) I kinda found the less paint you build with dupli, the faster it cures. I seriously can still make a good fingernail mark in my SAGA KIT. Hell that was freakin half a year ago :D

I want to get a gun and compressor also. Im hoping to probaly make some sort of career out of guitars. :D

Eh, now the only dilema im faced with is what color hardware to use. I already have chrome knows from stew mac, blcak strap buttons, and a chrome neckplate. I was thinking about getting a black bridge, chrome jack, and emg pickups with black rings.

Im also getting a neck with an ebony fretboard, which i dont know what color to paint. Maybe just leave it natural?

Gimmie ideas :D

I think the chrome knobs would look cool with the black bridge and pickups, especially with the color you've picked out. I hate black metal knobs because they just look cheap, especially after they get scratched up. Same for the jack.

It doesn't always have to match, you know. Just be sure to get black tuners and it should tie the whole thing together.