Router Bit Necessary For Guitars

xebryusguitars

Im getting about 500 dollars, but about 250 is going to my GF's ipod cause her parents are being a jerk. (long story) Well I have 2...yes ill say it again, 2 router bits and its quite embarrasing to say that. I have the truss rod bit and the template bit from stew mac. (bad idea to buy from them). Well which router bits are necessary and may not be so necessary but still its a good think to have. Well thanks a lot, i might get depserate enough to buy like a 50 bit set.

Personally I have a trim bit, 1/2 straight bit, 1/4 straight bit, and a 45 degree chamfer bit. I would probably get a couple different lengths of straight and trim bits, and a round over bit. Really I would just buy bits as you feel necessary. If you buy a kit you may not use half of them and end up going out to buy the bit you really needed in the first place.

Edited by Cloud

A word of warning don't waste your money on a 50 bit set unless the set is of high quality. IMO buy a few super quality bits that will last a lot longer. You don't need 50 of them unless you're doing more than guitar work with them.

BTW a 26 bit Freud set is in excess of $300.00. Most of which you may not ever use, but they are great bits.

There are only 2 or 3 bits that I have used on my first project guitar; my narrow-straight, my wide-straight, and a ½" radius bevel... which wasn't as useful as I had hoped. I can see where a few other bits might be useful in certain guitar-related circumstances, but my project didn't require them.

However, there are a bunch of bits in my router-arsenal that I doubt I will ever use for guitars.

And I'm headed out today to see if I can find a bit that's ¼" longer than the ones I have.

I pay more and buy good steel; cheap bits wear out and tear up wood, and that wastes money.

D~s

Like everyone has said above, don't waste your money on cheap bits. I've learned my lesson there. Luckily I was never dumb enough to waste my money on one of those huge sets. 40 bits for the price of 2 should tell you something about the quality. Spend the money on two good bits you'll actually use. The only bits I used on my last guitar were 1/4" straight (with 1/4" shank), and a 3/8" roundover bit. The straight bit can be used with templates (well my 5/8" templates), and it's used to cut my truss rod slot. I use a forstner bit to hog out most of the waste so my bit lasts longer.

I've got SHAGS of router bits, and that 3/8" pattern cutter bit from Stew Mac is damn near the centerpiece of the whole collection, I use that thing day, noon, and night. I can't think of another bit I use more often than that little cutter, the first one I bought lasted almost 4 years of damn near daily abuse thru the hardest exotics you can throw at it, what could possibly be your beef with that bit?

If someone told me I could only have one single router bit, I would probably pick that little bugger.

hahaha i think everyone is, and everyone knows :D

yeah well,those of us who know realize the value that stewmac provides through brilliant customer service,over the top tutorials on how to use all their products,and super fast and dependable shipping.

if you don't want to spend money,you shouldn't be building,you should be buying agiles

haha im talking about things like the pearl cutter with the "pearl blower". I have nothing at all against stewmac. they're my first source for parts cause they're the only one with parts like this, but we all know some things are a rip.

Well I just got back from the hardware store and i got the 2 inch straight bit with a bearing, a 3/8" roundover bit and a forster bit, i just finished making my router table on my workbench