Whats Your Fave Tuners?

asm

Easy....Grover Mini Locking Tuners...

I like the small buttons --they look cool and they're lighter in weight. The Grovers also look like normal tuners, no funny looking knob...You can also change the buttons, since the Grovers have screws.

I like having to turn only the tuner in order to lock the string down--makes changing strings real fast.

I like the tension on the strings they give --it's really different from normal tuners, the string feels tighter but more supple (in comparison, normal tuners make the string feel wobbly)

I like it that you really have to work hard to make the guitar go out of tune.

And best of all, they don't cost a whole lot more than normal tuners. I buy mine at Stewmac --the 3x3 costs like $35 and the 6 in lines cost $42.

The only problem with the Grovers-- if you already have normal Grovers installed, as I do on two of my guitars, the Mini lockers have a different footprint. So you're obliged to drill new holes...on the other hand, the mini lockers perfectly match the existing screw holes on my two Bocaster projects (Johnson and Stagg tele copies)

Easily gotoh 510's found here Link

My friend put some on his jackson neck, they're amazing.

I was really tempted by Gotoh's locking Vintage Oval Knob tuners --they're really beautiful.

Only thing is, I wasn't sure if they were all in one strip or not--how to tell if they'll fit my guitar? So I passed...until I get my real Fender Tele next year!

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,...nob_Tuners.html

(sorry for the long link)...

i prefer the cheap asian tuners they have at the local music store.. they're very close copies of regular gotoh tuners and are very stable. oh did i mention that they're also very cheap? :D

though i'd like a little lighter tuners on my doubleneck.

Edited by samoht

on every guitar that i've built until recently i've use schaller locking tuners and schaller bridges but they're getting next to impossible to find. shipping problems from germany i suppose. so i've gone to the grover mini locking tuners that idch mentioned. i've had some experience working on guitars with the spretzel locking tuners and liked them.

the last guitar i built i used gotoh mini lockings in black and while they're pretty they are a royal pain to lock. instead of a knurled knob on the back (say that three times without laughing) they have a screw slot on the top of the post that you have to tighten after you insert the string. problem is, it's trying to wind the string at the same time...bad juju... :D

ABM headless sytem- for basses at least- but that is all I build so far. Yeah, yeah, I know headless "looks funny" and all that- but let a bass player who has been complaining of shoulder pains play one for a bit. They balance like a dream- and even if they bass weighs the same as most (mine tend to weigh less) they have the illusion of being light since the weight isnt put at the long end of a lever. Beyond that going headless gives you a shorter axe, more stable tuning- no keys to be knocked out of place- and a level of precision with tuning (40:1). Strings change quickly- and many companies now make double ball strings- and you c an use normal strings as well.

Peace,

Ryan

I tend towards Schaller locking tuners. For my latest project I used Sperzels because the Schallers were not available.

My big thing is that I don't like non-locking tuners. They do a fine job, but stringing them is a pain.

And I don't care for the looks of the Kluson style. Also, I find them a bit harder to install.

In the end, it is a matter of opinion for me, not fact.

Guitar Ed

• 3 weeks later...