Kinda Big Repair Question

well, my friend, being the idiot he is, dropped his les paul and snapped the neck off at the joint. there's a little bit of the maple that ripped off, but otherwise everything else is perfect. the tenon and the hole it sits in are both in perfect shape.

since i do most of his "tech" work, he asked me if i could reset the neck for him, well...i said yeah because i'm pretty sure i can, but i just need some basic info.

1. what should i do about the maple that broke off(i'll get some pics up tomorrow to show you what happened exactly, and some good pics for you all to see exactly what i need to do)...should i attempt to get it off(how?) and reglue it into place in the pocket, or leave it on the neck how it is, and just glue it back on when the neck goes back in?

2. what kind of glue do i need to get a tight hold?

3. where does the glue go? because it looked to my like there was only glue on the fingerboard where it meets the body, and nowhere else.

that's pretty much it. everything fits nice and tight into the right spot, so i dont need to do any work to get a new neck angle or anything, it'll just slide right in and be right. so...it's not going to be too aweful tough i dont think.

any other tips and tidbits are greatly appreciated. i dont really want to screw this up, and it's my first real big bite into actually repairing a guitar.

Looks to me like you can just glue it right back in. Take primal's advice and cover all surfaces to be joined with glue. If the maple on the edge is still glued to the neck I would leave it there, put glue on it and glue it all together in one shot. Wipe off your excess glue that squeezes out on the top and around the joint with a damp rag to prevent having to scrape dry glue off later. You will probably have a line from the seam on top. That can be left as is or you can try to touch up the finish after the glue dries. Personally, I'd leave it as is and play the guitar. Battle scars are endearing to a good axe! :D

Do a dry run and ensure that everything aligns perfectly. Sometimes little fibres of wood get pulled out of place when the break occurs and prevent the joint being reassembled. Once you are 200% certain that the joint fits perfectly you can glue it back, and unlike Gibson, try to get some glue on the tennon - as you observed it looks untouched, whilst the board is glued down enough to tear off the maple between the neck and the pickup.

With that in mind it might be worth contacting Gibson - I think that joint is totally unacceptable on a high end instrument, no neck joint should part company without hours of steaming and extreme leverage. I'd be looking for a replacement guitar or at least a free proffesional repair if it were me. No guitar is made to be dropped, but dropping one certainly shouldn't pop the neck off!

the guy who owns it contacted gibson about it, they said the best they could do is fix it for a mere $600, plus shipping back and forth, and depending on the condition of the break and any possiblity for a refinish it'd cost more.

and i've test fitted everything together, it all fits right together...nothing too bad. the maple is a pretty clean break, probably right with the grain or something, it just snapped out...no shards or anything. and i checked back, there is SOME glue on the tenon, but seriously not much...it's pretty bad how they did this one up...oh well, he's happy it's not going to cost him $600, and i'm happy becuase i'm probably gonna be walking away with 100 or 150...depending...