Classical/electric Hybrid

Simo

I'm planning on building on a solid body/classical guitar in the new year, it will have an electric style neck but with nylon strings and piezo pickup, inspired by this guitar....

http://www.jemsite.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php...4bb6f7bc3566c6b

This is just an idea at the moment, I'm just looking for inspiration and advice B) has anyone here built a simular guitar? any top tips?

EDIT: Oops meant to post this in Solid Body section :D

I am in the prcoess of building a fretless bass much like an electric, but with only a peizo acoustic saddle transducer. It is also headless and an original design, if I cna come up with some advice for you on what not to do I will definitely let you know... here are some progress photos.

My Webpage

Yes it does have a sound chamber- and it was freehanded and a bit sloppy as it will never be seen.

hey godin's got something like that multiac, only thers can do midi also.

that guitar was used at my schools concert, i was the roadie, LOL,

that guitar was one of the most amazing sounding guitars i have ever heard, it was awesome, i talked to the man playing afterwards, and turns out he owns the music store, he let me play his guitar and siad that if i come down to his store, mention my school name he will give me a 15% discount on anything in there

boo yah grandma

Anyways, sorry to hi jack, but that guitar is very kick ass

Curtis

Simo, the link you provided appears to be down, any other pics? or a name that i can google up? I am dieing to see it!!

Curtis

Simo, the link you provided appears to be down, any other pics? or a name that i can google up? I am dieing to see it!!

Here you go....

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...t=0entry96104 B)

I was actually thinking about a Godin style shape, midi might be a cool idea too, altough I'll have to read up on that, electrics ain't my speciallity :D . I've got 2 really nice book matched Cocobolo tops that I've been saving so I'm sure I'll use one of those. For the main body wood I'm thinking about using Alder, with some chambering. I've been talking to my mate at my local guitar shop about pickups, he deals with a lot with Shadow so he's pricing me up some possible pickup/pre-amps set ups.

... so tempting, but then i couldnt have a guitar thats working to *shred* (if i can call it that) on

Simo, if you want my honest opinion on your project guitar, I would say go with a Godin body shape, but i would really urge you to go semi-hollow, (well, depending on what music you will be playing) but i think it will give it a fuller, richer sound than just a solid body

Good luck, post plenty of pics and sound clips!!

Curtis

P.S. you will soon be seeing progress pics (alot) of my Jem, i am 99.99999999% sure i got one for christmas (it might be a webcam, but you can still take pics with them, only they suck)

Curtis

Well after I switched my pc off last night I got thinking about this project, I wasn't planning on starting until the new year :D but I decided to go ahead and start the body, I had a piece of American Cherry which was supposed to be made into a BC Rich Virgin...ah nevermind B) Anyway this morning I made a body template out of some plywood I had left over from building my workshop, I've made about 5 bodies now but this is the first time I've used a router to cut the shape....I'll deffinetly be using this method from now on! it's much quicker and easier

I'll post some pics later on if I get the time :D:D

Man Simo this sound's like a realy cool idea I hope it work's out for ya, i cant wait to see some more pic's, that thing look's good

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Nice top simo. I don't know if you remember but about say 6 yrs ago, Yngwie Chet Atkins Acoustic was stolen and one of his fans made him a "duck" complete with scallops and pickguard with nylon strings. At first when I saw it Ithought is was an electric, then I noticed the strings, the tech said that its sound was darn good for a guitar that was intended to be an electric, with minor mods and a piezo.

Yeah altough I'm not a fan of his I looked it up after Vladdrac mentioned it in his post on Jem Site. I found a few lines about it on his site...

http://www.yngwie.org/equipment/guitars2.html

The thing that confused me a little was the fact that it had a tremolo B) I would of thought that the nylon strings would of gone out of tune :D

gee that shape looks kinda farmiler :D(check my name :D ) Dude godins are freakin awesome but I would get a different headstock, thats the only thing I dont like about mine. (BTW that cocobolo is AWESOME, my next guitar I build will have a cocobolo body(yes the whole body)

Ok just a LIITLE bit off topic but check out these pics of my guitar (which I love

:D )

lower bout

upper bout

full

dude the action on my guitar is half a milimeter at the 24th fret on the treble side and .9 of a millimeter on the bass side (with absautly NO buzzing)

YA!!!!!!!! haha I have it and you dont B):D

Edited by Godin SD

sorry I just couldent resist posting a pic of my guitar, I love it. It plays and looks soooo much better than anything in the store I tried(even the other godins) So I think I Just got REALLY lucky as the other godins were not quite as good as this one.

:DB):D:D:D

Auccually I want to make my electric i'm building right now into a solid body acoustic.

What do I need to do to accomplish this? IS it just that I need to install like a peizo loaded bridge like the lr baggs things? I want it to sound like the tom anderson crowdster which BTW sounds better than any "real" acoustic i've ever heard(there also $3000 dollars so I want to build one) I'm prety sure the bridge plays a big part in it. So if I just got an acoustic bridge and a peizo would my electric sound as good as an acoustic? (or is it that anderson put a "real" acoustic top that is real thin and braced on a very small back and sides? but than wouldent this not sound any better than a thin bodied acoustic? i'm so cunfused)

Edited by Godin SD

I'm planning on building on a solid body/classical guitar in the new year, it will have an electric style neck but with nylon strings and piezo pickup.... This is just an idea at the moment, I'm just looking for inspiration and advice :D has anyone here built a simular guitar? any top tips?

I remember budman68 building this one:

budman.jpg

From the mp3's that he posted, it sounded incredible with nylon strings.