Guitar Magazines

Alexander

To be honest, I've never bought guitar magazines - because I'm not interested in learning to play other people's songs, and for the most part they're full of adverts for gear I can't afford!

That said, I do enjoy reading about new techniques, sound recording and learning about other people's setups and rigs.

Do you read any guitar mags and if so, would you recommend I have a look at them? What do you look for in a guitar publication?

Guitar World has pretty much all the things you have listed covered... I like Guitar World and the UK 'Guitarist'.

I also used to like a UK magazine called 'The Guitar Magazine', but i havent seen it for ages.

I was never much into 'Guitar School', but I also loved 'Guitar For The Practising Musician' in its day.

Since the interent, I havent really had much need for magazines- I also dont think they are as good as when i started buying them (1991 or so).

Hope thats a bit of a help,

Luke

I used to read Guitar One. My subscription ran out, and I keep forgetting to resubscribe. I really liked it. Guitar World doesn't seem to be very good at all. There's hardly any info. Guitar One usually has some pretty good articles for every skill level.

tell that to the kerry king and trey anastasio articles in GW :D

I read Total Guitar, Guitarist, Guitar Techniques and Guitar Buyer

(listed in order of purchasing/reading frequency)

I don't read them every time they come out, because most of the time I pinch them from my Dad.

I read them for news, techniques, interviews, songs and gear reviews. So, all in all, their entire content. And D'you know the stupid thing? The first 3 on my list are made by the same publisher!

I guess I'm looking for something aimed at the serious/experienced player. I don't want a free CD so I can play along with the Darkness or anything like that.

Maybe I should buy one issue of each and try em out...

If you're looking for a magazine purely about techniques, then Guitar Techniques is the one to go for out of the ones I mentioned. However, I am Scottish, so, depending on where you live, you may prefer to get a more local magazine.

Before the Internet, I subscribed to GP, GFTPM, and Guitar for many years.

But there's so much information on the 'net now, I didn't see the need to keep subscribing, so none for years now. The internet's enough to keep me busy.

And the boxes and boxes of years' worth of old issues got out of hand too.

Since the internet, I havent really had much need for magazines- I also dont think they are as good as when I started buying them (1991 or so).

I agree. I started getting them around '91 as well but now it's very rare that I see one on the shelf that I would buy.

But there's so much information on the 'net now, I didn't see the need to keep subscribing, so none for years now. The internet's enough to keep me busy.

And the boxes and boxes of years' worth of old issues got out of hand too.

Several good sites have taken the place of my mags and yeah...boxes and boxes full of old mags gets to be a pain.

It is fun sometimes to look at them and laugh at the music, clothing and hairstyles of the day though, hehe. :D

I've alway's liked "Guitar Player" though they certainly have had periods of trash when they lost their way. I've had a subscription now but I have a collection shelved that goes back to the 70's (not complete mind you). I still read back and find things of interest in them. Certainly if you want information on the widest diversity of players, this is the bible.

The mags from England, especially "Guitar Techniques" are really good with really good players and diversity. "Guitarist" is essentially an equipment mag and thats what they give you. The other mags I pick up from time to time.

Since people are using the internet perhaps you coould share some sites of interest.

psw