Swirling

gun

Hi guy, I've read other topics on this forum but many things aren't clear to me, I'm a total newbie!!!

1) I've a JPM body make by a local custom shop, it's raw. Must I sealed it? If yes how? Only the screw holes or the entire body?

2) After tons of tests I'll do, I would make a swirl as DNA Jem, do I need a base color for body? If yes which color? Red?

3) For a tub of 30 liters, how many borax do I need?

4) I read many people use Plasti-kote oil base paint, I don't find it in Italy. Alternatives?

5) First to dip, must I sand the body?

6) When I 've the pattern I like the dipping process is fast or slow? Must I swirl body or only dip? Can the body touch the bottom of tub or not?

7) When I pull off the body can I put on a table? Or must I wait the drying process?

Excuse me for all these questions and my english!!! :D

Ok I'm still new to this but I can answer some of those for you.

Question #1: YES. Seal the entire body and put wax in the screw holes.. If any water gets into the wood, it will crack later on.

Question #5: Yes.. You should have the body completed sanded and ready for finishing before swirling. The swirling point is the same as when you would start spraying your body color..

Question #6: I imagine you simply slide the guitar into the paint. Don't spin the body while it is in the water. Before you bring the guitar out, use a newspaper or blow a clean area of water (no paint) around the body or it will get a double swirl. If you touch the bottom of the tub, it will probably mess up the swirl on the bottom edge of the guitar.

Question #7: After you pull the body out, you have to hang it up to dry. If you lay it on the table before the paint dries, you just messed up your swirl and got paint all over the table. In the article is says to twirl it a little just to try and flick off some of the residual water, but I imagine you don't want to spin it too hard because that could cause the paint to run a bit.

And don't worry about your english. I imagine it's a second language for you and I've seen people write far worse with english as their first language. :D

Hope that helps.

And don't worry about your english.  I imagine it's a second language for you and I've seen people write far worse with english as their first language. B) 

Hope that helps.

hey are you talking about me? :D

ok

question # 2 you want a red base color on. Than add your greens and whatever you want to the swirl

question # 4 Any oil based paint should work fine

Edited by Godin SD

ok guys very thanks for your replies but I've a doubt, I said for a DNA swirl do I need a base color? For example red? I said for example, but from your replies I understood first the body must be painted of red. Right? I seen many DNA swirl on ADT site, but all body had a base color? Or can I seal and sand body and dip it natural?

Thanks again :D

To be honest firstly coat your guitar in a white base and go from there. From what I have learnt from swirling this is the most important factor as far as getting a good colour goes. As for the red I'm not sure but wouldnt reccomend it I'd go white base anad work from there. make some practise bits and bobs first to test the water.

Hey guys, I'm new to swirling too. Actually I'm still toying with paint mixes and colors. Is it ok to ask other questions in this thread or should I start another for my particular questions? Not really sure how strict this site is with sticking to the topic in a thread.

Lee :D

question # 2 you want a red base color on. Than add your greens and whatever you want to the swirl

I am almost positive that the only color you would want as a base for swirling is white. Otherwise you won't get the swirled colors to come out true, they will be altered by the base showing from underneath.

they will be altered by the base showing from underneath

I don't know about only using white as a base. Having a different color base coat could lead to some interesting combinations. Imagine a dark base coat with light color swirls. The combinations and hue differences are immense.

When it comes to colors, it's like Taco Bell says... "Think outside the bun"

Not having done a swirl yet I can't tell you exactly.. Only thing I can do is redirect you to this part of the tutorial.

Next, test the water with some oil paint to see if you have enough Borax in your water. Only a little drop is needed!! You should see the paint start to disappear or dissipate and spread (if you have enough Borax mixed in the water). If not then you need to add more Borax to your water.

I would do as the tutorial says and do some experimenting with other objects. They show a test on a white cup in the tutorial.

While that doesn't specifically answer your question, it should point you in the right direction. I imagine the climate/humidity and water condition in your area could greatly affect the amount needed to get a good result.

Again, I haven't done a swirl yet so this is mostly conjecture on my part.

Hope it helps.

Ok now you've mentioned climate conditions and water temperature. I read around internet that water mustn't be cold water, right? Of course also not hot. And climate? I live in a damp place? Can I have problems? :D

As temperature increases, solubility increase so you can get more of the borax into solution. (where it's dissolved completely and not floating on the surface)

In most cases, tepid or lukewarm water is best because if the temperature is too cold, the paints could congeal on the surface. Hot water could cause the paint to dry too fast causing a skin on the surface. Again, as I haven't tried a swirl yet, this is mostly conjecture.

At this point there is not much else you can do except run a few tests and see what kind of results you get.

Does anyone have suggestions for determining exactly how much paint I would want to add to the water? A formula for coverage perhaps?

I did my 1st tests on some scrap yesterday and it was very clear to me I used way too much paint... can you say I got the runs, lol

I'm sure there is a certain amount that is the "just right amount" but I'm not really sure how to go about determining that.

Lee

Thanks AMD, I'll experiment some more with much smaller amounts. I am concerned though that if you use too little that "skinning" become an issue, meaning not a whole lot of time to get your pattern setup and then doing the dip. Thanks for your input

Lee

Hey guys I forgot an important question. I read that many people say for swirl it's better a poly urethane clear coat. Ok as white base coat can I use an acrylic spray can? After swirl with oil paint I think I will have not problems with poly clear coat!?!

• 4 months later...